• Tara Craig
  • "Need help creating an itinerary/finding hotels for India."

Tara Craig

Boston, Massachusetts

Need help creating an itinerary/finding hotels for India.

A friend and I are backpacking through India this winter break and we need help creating an itinerary/finding things to do and finding hotels for some of the cities. Wondering if you can help us figure out if this is a good way to spend our time (we can add days if we need to):

• Darjeeling – 2 days – need hotel
• Delhi – 1 day – need hotel
• Agra – 3 days – need hotel
• Jaipur – 4 days – staying with my friend’s family
• Mumbai – 2 days – need hotel

Are there any towns in between we should see?  As far as budget goes, we're pretty open but looking for mid-range places for accommodations (is under $150/night fair in India? give or take $100).  No hostels, but also not the Ritz-Carlton!

• Joao C.

Joao C.

Hi Tara, I stayed in hotels/guesthouses in Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and some other towns but before I can suggest anything, what would be your budget for a night? In dollars or rupees... · (0 likelikes)

• Tara C.

Tara C.

Thank you, Joao. I just updated my question! · (0 likelikes)

• dharmendra B.

dharmendra B.

HI Tara Good day and welcome in india please you can check this one we can help and we give best service so please look it http://bhincherindiatours.com/ · (0 likelikes)

• Ashutosh K.

Ashutosh K.

Hi Tara, If you like the best rates according to your budget we are here to provide you . We offers you best services for more visit : www.caremytrip.com for complete solution. · (0 likelikes)

• Darjeeling (city)

Darjeeling

• Agra (city)

Agra U.P.

• Jaipur (city)

Jaipur

• Prasad Np

Actually in my opinion Darjeeling is way out of place for you from a travel point of view, as all the other places you are covering are in North/West. For Darjeeling you will need to travel to Kolkata from Delhi or if you are taking train to one of the closer train station. So unless there is a very compelling personal reason to go to Darjeeling this is not a great idea to combine it with Delhi, Jaipur and Agra. If you want to visit a hill station in India you can visit many close to Delhi like Shimla, Nainital, Dharamshala etc.

Point 2: 3 nights in Agra is over kill unless you are doing research, so I would suggest only one at max 2 night in Agra as you can see whole of Agra and the nearby Fatehpur Sikri in a day trip from Delhi. So the only reason you would want to stay in Agra is if you want to do something which is more than sight seeing that I am not sure at this stage.

I would suggest you spend additional night in Delhi and one day cover the old Delhi + New Delhi with Chandni Chowk, CP, Jantar Mantar, Akshardham Temple (my blog post on it),etc. and next day cover the Qutub Minar and surrounding places.

As Jaipur you are staying with friends, they should be able to help you with details.

Between Agra and Delhi if you are traveling by road you can visit Vrindavan, and Mathura which both should take half a day. Then after Agra I would suggest visiting Varanasi (my blog post) the spiritual capital of India and one of the oldest cities in the world. Varanasi has enough small hostels/hotels that you can book online. I stayed at Hotel Heritage Inn | Varanasi near Assi Ghat in Shivala which is a decent new hotel. As you plan to go to Mumbai also I would suggest you enter India through either Delhi and take flight out of Mumbai or vice versa depending on the fare.

Also note if you plan to travel by train within India you will need to book tickets well in advance ( upto 30-60 days as last minute tickets are almost impossible to book)

The Links I have given in this post are of my travel blog and you are welcome to post here any follow up questions.

• Tara C.

Tara C.

Thank you so much for sharing all of this! And great blog posts. It's awesome to hear this from someone who has been all over India! · (1 likelikes)

• nilanjana s.

nilanjana s.

I agree, go to Dharmshala (Dalai Lama) instead of Darjeeling or leave out Mumbai and do Kolkata-Darjeeling · (0 likelikes)

1. Darjeeling (city)
    2. Kolkata (city)
    3. Delhi (city)
    4. Jaipur (city)
    5. Agra (city)
    6. Shimla (city)
    7. Nainital (city)
    8. Dharamshala (attraction)
    9. Fatehpur Sikri (city)
    10. New Delhi (city)
    11. Chandni Chowk (attraction)
    12. Jantar Mantar (attraction)
    13. Akshardham Temple (attraction)
    14. Qutub Minar (attraction)
    15. Vrindavan (city)
    16. Mathura (city)
    17. Varanasi (city)
    18. Hotel Heritage Inn | Varanasi (hotel)
    19. Shivala (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Prasad a Thank You Note