• Spencer Spellman
  • "If you could plan and go on ONE dream road trip, what & where would it be?"

Spencer Spellman

Los Angeles, California

If you could plan and go on ONE dream road trip, what & where would it be?

I'm planning an epic West Coast/California road trip but want to hear what would be other people's dream road trip. Go crazy!

• Elizabeth Way

I did a Washington State & Oregon Road Trip in 2013 that turned out to be epic--especially the unplanned parts. I flew to Seattle and headed straight for Pike Place Market and bought this:General Trippy Media$326.50 worth of Whole Sockeye, White King Salmon & Jumbo Dungeness later which was to be shipped home on my return, I had a wonderful bowl of clam chowder, some off-the-hook salmon-potato croquettes with an herb sauce and a micro-brew at Lowell's Restaurant which boasts beautiful water views. If that's not your style, there are plenty of other good eateries here.

Next day I headed for Mount Rainier National Park. This park is gorgeous--one of the most-glaciated parks in the US. (The release that you have to sign to hike there is extensive.) But it's jaw-dropping, mind-clearing, soul-inspiring terrain. General Trippy MediaDid no research on the food this time but by accident stumbled upon an incredible restaurant "The Wildberry" in Ashford. Authentic Nepalese food right outside the park entrance. How appropriate. I ate a to-die-for-good meal, topped off with a slice of home-made Huckleberry pie.General Trippy MediaOnward and upward to Olympic National Park. You'll drive your car onto the ferry and enjoy the ride to the Olympic Peninsula. You'll see forest, coastal, and mountain ecosystems here. It's designated as both a World Heritage Site and an International Biosphere Reserve so there is a lot to see. I didn't spend nearly enough time here. Take your time. Don't rush.General Trippy Media

Back on route 101 heading South to the rugged, publicly-owned Oregon

coast.

Spoiler alert: nerdier parts of the trip ahead:

Not planned but it was there so I spent an afternoon at this place: General Trippy MediaThis is the Lewis and Clark National Historical Park. This is where Captain William Clark stood on November 7, 1805 believing he had reached the Pacific ocean. He was close, and who could blame him for mistaking the Columbia River estuary for the ocean.

If you are out this way--do the Historic Columbia River Highway. In 1986, it became the first and only designated National Scenic Area. You could spend days there.

OK, gotta stay somewhere on the coast and relax for a couple of days so I chose this place: Sylvia Beach Hotel.

I stayed in the Mark Twain room, yes, all the room are named after famous authors: Austen, Fitzgerald, Poe, Stevenson, Melville, Hemingway, Colette, Dickinson, Cather, Christie, Stein--you get the idea. The owner Goodie Cable describes her property as a "trap for interesting people."

Gotta say, it certainly was. One night, at dinner, which was excellent, the woman seated across from me introduced herself as Jane Adams. Adams as in the daughter-in-law of Ansel Adams.

For over an hour, she told us stories about her famous father-in-law and how he was at his core, an environmentalist as was she. Her issue is water, and two years ago she predicted that current water crisis in California. Fascinating stuff.

After dinner we played "Two Truths and a Lie." There were eight of us at our table, and the first two participants played it pretty clean, so I thought I would spice things up with at least one racy tidbit.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself, pretty cocky until the next player-a gorgeous older woman--a blonde, lithe-figured, soft-spoken lady said,

"Yul Brenner slipped a Mickey into my boyfriend's drink at a party so that we would both be forced to stay overnight."

"I went out with Elvis."

"Kris Kristofferson and I dated for six months."

Well, shut my mouth...

Turns out she was a model and a singer who had lived in LA. And, oh by the way, no one correctly guessed that the lie was about Kristofferson.

So, it's that kind of a place. If you're a reader, you'll love it here. If you're a viewer, you won't because the rooms at TV-less.

Moving on to Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Wonderful theater in a pretty little town. Saw a production of "Streetcar" that was first rate. This Stanley would have been a contender at the annual "Stella! Yelling Contest" in NOLA.

Onward to one of my favorite National Parks, Crater Lake. How do you describe that color of blue? I give up and just call it "caldera blue". It is such a pretty place. Met all kinds of kindred spirits here.General Trippy Media
    Headed back to Portland now, that haven of progressive thinking and weirdness. Took the scenic route 97 cause I wanted to see Bend. Wow. Cool place. Very young and vibrant with lots of in-shape, outdoor-sporting types--hiking, biking, rafting, camping, etc.

In general, the interior of Oregon is beautiful and perfectly designed for a road trip. I don't remember the routes that I took to get to Portland from Bend, but I do remember driving through multiple, verdant wilderness areas and national forests thinking, "This place is gorgeous and so much of it is preserved."

Portland. And the Willamette, dammit! wine growing region. Yeah, books and wine and coffee. Without those three things, life would pretty much suck. Again, I think you could strike gold by just wandering by car through this region. I was pretty impressed with the wines at this place: Ponzi Vineyards. And when I told the server at their wine bar that I was a Pinot Noir freak, she poured from a few special bottles not on the generic tasting selection. Oh, Momma! This is living. And this is eating at the Ponzi-family-owned Dundee Bistro where yet again I met interesting folks.
    General Trippy MediaIf not for the winters, I could easily live in Portland. It is a special place. And it was also the end of my epic 2013 road trip. <SIGH>

• peggy r.

peggy r.

Wow! I can't imagine anyone reading this and not wanting to duplicate your trip. Thank you! · (0 likelikes)

• Spencer S.

Spencer S.

This is impressive! · (0 likelikes)

1. Washington (state)
    2. Oregon (state)
    3. Seattle (city)
    4. Pike Place Market (attraction)
    5. Lowell's Restaurant (restaurant)
    6. Mount Rainier National Park (park)
    7. Lewis and Clark National Historical Park (attraction)
    8. Ashland (attraction)
    9. Crater Lake (attraction)
    10. Portland (city)
    11. Bend (city)
    12. Ponzi Vineyards (attraction)
    13. Dundee Bistro (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Elizabeth a Thank You Note