Ayesha S

Buffalo, New York

Food in Iceland

I am going to Iceland this summer with two friends. We are going to see Reykjavik then rent a car to drive the whole Ring Road. My most important meal of the day is dessert, so if you have any suggestions on where to get good dessert in the country, let me know please! And if you know of regular food that one shouldn't miss I'd definitely like to know as well. Thank you!

• Hjörtur Smárason

Oooh, a woman of good tastes :)

There is an Icelandic delicatessy you must try, which is skyr (a type of yogurt) with blueberries and cream. It is absolutely delicious. If you're in August or September, you can even just pick those blueberries yourself :)

All around the country you'll find things made of rhubarb and blueberries, pancakes with rhubarb jam and cream and cheese cakes. Skriduklaustur in the east of the country has a very nice cafe with excellent local Icelandic refreshments Local food is on the rise so you should be able to find something good at local guesthouses and farm holidays.

There are two farms you absolutely must stop at on your way around the country. Those are Brunnholl farm, just west of Höfn in south east Iceland which serves excellent home made ice cream and Vogafjós , a barn with a café where you can sit with the cows at your side and enjoy some fantastic home made Icelandic farm food.

For more traditional food you can try Þrír Frakkar restaurant in Reykjavik or if you want them with an interesting twist, I recommend the Tapashúsið restaurant down by the harbour.

To really spice up your lunch box before the road trip go to either Ostahúsið at Skólavörðustígur where you get the best delicatessens or Kolaportið food market down by the harbour where you get more ordinary local food. When you've finished your lunch pack and are still only have way through the country, jump into the next store and get some "flatkökur" which you can put butter and "hangikjöt" on top. That is the traditional Icelandic lunch pack, as well as "skyr", which you can be in cans with a spoon and different flavours. The blueberry one is my favorite.

Oh, and must for the road is harðfiskur (dried fish) and butter, as well as a box of chocolates called lava.

I'm sorry, but this reply is making me really, really hungry, so I must stop now and grab something to eat. Feel free to add any questions you might have as a comment to my reply.

Enjoy :)

• Ayesha S.

Ayesha S.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer Hjörtur! I'm really excited to check out everything you listed! :D · (1 likelikes)

• Alex J.

Alex J.

Oh, I love Þrír Frakkar! · (0 likelikes)

1. Skriduklaustur (attraction)
    2. Brunnholl (attraction)
    3. Höfn (attraction)
    4. Vogafjós (restaurant)
    5. Þrír Frakkar (restaurant)
    6. Reykjavik (city)
    7. Tapashúsið (attraction)
    8. Ostahúsið (attraction)
    9. Skólavörðustígur (attraction)
    10. Kolaportið Flea Market (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Hjörtur a Thank You Note