• Richard van Wyk
  • "How does the media influence your travels?"

Richard van Wyk

Cape Town, South Africa

How does the media influence your travels?

Recently in South Africa we have experienced some bad xenophobic violence, specifically in the Durban area. The media and social media has blown the events completely out of proportion and made our beautiful country look like a racist, xenophobic war zone. How does this influence your decision on travelling here, or to any other country portrayed in the news in similar ways?

• Ross Sparks

It doesn't, I would have never been to the places I have been if I payed attention to the "News". I also find it cheaper to travel to areas that have in the media for negative things! I was in Aruba for almost free after the tourist murder and in marroco a week after a terrorist attack? I have been mugged at gun point three times and my home has been broken into twice while I was home, if you can live in down town savannah Ga. you should have the street smarts to survive anywhere lol!

• ·
    • ·

Send Ross a Thank You Note