• Alisha Miranda
  • "How do you use an iPhone 6 abroad?"

Alisha Miranda

New York, New York

How do you use an iPhone 6 abroad?

Hi I just got a brand new iPhone 6, but need to learn how to activate it and use it abroad. I will be going to Buenos Aires and Uruguay. I've never used a smartphone overseas, but will need to on this upcoming trip. What's the most cost-effective way to do so? I will be traveling for 3 weeks through South America and can't afford a big cell phone bill.

• Elliott Lowen

Congratulations on travelling to Monte Video and BA. I assume you want to be cost effective and not run up a huge cell phone bill by using your US carrier. Therefore, I assume you are wondering how you can stay in touch with loved ones back home without running up costly roaming fees. You can always buy a roaming pack from your cell phone carrier, suffer through pay-as-you-go rates (very expensive and not something we'd recommend), or maybe just leave your phone at home and pray for frequent Internet access.

You can, however, take your IPhone 6 with you and pay much cheaper rates for calls, texts and data than your carrier would have you believe. What you need to do is swap out your regular US SIM card for a specially made global or travel SIM, you can access affordable voice call and texting prices, as well as go online without having to take out a second mortgage.

With your iPhone6, there's a few things you need to check.

Firstly, to use a travel SIM in your device, you'll need to make sure that your iphone is "network unlocked". When you buy a device through a carrier, it's usually 'locked' to that network - meaning you can't simply take your phone and use it on a rival carrier's plan.

Depending on who your original carrier is, you may be able to have your phone unlocked by the cell company themselves, so I recommend either giving the company’s customer service hotline a call or visiting their website. Unlocking iPhones can be done by contacting your carrier, but they will forward the request to Apple to be processed; alternatively, you can fill out an online form on the Apple.com site.

There is a very small door on the side of your Iphone 6 designed to house the SIM Card. This can be swapped out and just inserted if your phone does not use SIM technology.

Travel to BA - HOW TO BUY A PAY AS YOU GO SIM...

If you're on vacaciones in Buenos Aires or not on any sort of proper work visa, you’re not going to be able to get a mobile plan and will have to use a prepaid/pay-as-you-go SIM. This is what we address setting up in the following.

Step 1: There’s 3 main carriers in Buenos Aires but just go with Movistar. While they won’t always be the cheapest (but sometimes they are – like most things I understand this moves around) they do reportedly have the best coverage and their SIMs are stocked everywhere. You can’t walk down Av Santa Fe(or similar) for very long without seeing a Movistar sign (see below). When you do, go in and ask for a ‘Tarjeta SIM’. Make sure you show them which iPhone6 you have - as iPhone6 for example are very rare in Buenos Aires due to the prohibitive cost (at US$500-600 that’s the equivalent of some people’s salaries in Buenos Aires), and the Tarjetas are often a less used form-factor. Expect the SIM to cost about 20 pesos.

Step 2: Charge your card. The $20 for buying the card is just for that – ie. buying the card. Within an hour of putting the SIM in the photo it should automatically connect to the network and show reception, but you won’t be able to phone/message/surf the net yet because there is no money on your account. Now you need to find one of these:

…which is basically the Argentinian equivalent of a 7-11 or small convenience store. You won’t have to look hard to find one, they’re more or less on every street corner, and if the first one you wander into doesn’t offer recharge just walk along to the next street corner. If you’re not sure what to ask for when recharging say ‘Yo quiero a recarga mi Movistar SIM por favour’ which more-or-less translates as “Listen muchacho, get some credit on this SIM pronto” (ok, it might be slightly politer than that). The checkout gringo/chica will then either pick up something that looks like a card-swiping-machine-thingy (mindblank) and ask for your mobile number (the 8 digits after the ’11’ or ’15’ on the packet your SIM came in or will hand you a receipt with the recharge details, and you’ll have to manually call and add the credit. .

Step 3: So you’ve added credit to your phone – great! Now you can Whatsapp, Google map and check your emails to your heart’s content right? Wrong. Having added credit you now have the ability to phone and text – THAT’S IT. To use data services, access the internet etc you need to purchase a data package from Movistar. But don’t worry, adding credit to your phone was the hard part. Getting data access simply involves choosing the data plan you want, then texting Movistar at a pre-determined number with the name of the package and – voila! – you should have data access within the hour.

Check http://movistar.com.ar/planes/prepago/paquetes/ for all the different ‘add-on’ packages with Movistar, with the package name and number to text. It’s in Spanish but it’s all pretty self-evident, and if you do have trouble understanding don’t message me, get on a plane and go back home because you’re too challenged to be travelling by yourself.

That’s it!

A quick note on Spanish mobile numbers – they all start with ’15’ or ’11’ and are followed by another 8 digits which is the actual phone number. I recommend storing every mobile number you collect in Buenos Aires in your phone as ‘+549 11 XXXX XXXX’ (the country code for Argentina – ’54’ – plus the area code for Buenos Aires – ‘9’), because this will automatically allow you to find local Whatsapp etc users. If you just store the number as ’11 XXXX XXXX’ they won’t come up in your contact list for Whatsapp and similar apps.

• Elliott L.

Elliott L.

The issue is, as I encountered, if you buy your iphone 6 from certain carriers. I bought mine from Verizon and, unfortunately, it was networked locked until I specifically requested it be unlocked. If I had bought the exact same phone from the local apple store, it would have come unlocked. · (0 likelikes)

1. Av Santa Fe (unknown)

• ·
    • ·

Send Elliott a Thank You Note