• Jonathan Een Newton
  • "How do you start a conversation with a soon-to-be friend on the road?"

Jonathan Een Newton

Washington D.C., District of Columbia

How do you start a conversation with a soon-to-be friend on the road?

I have a sort of meta question.

I'm wondering what types of questions people have used to start conversations with locals. I love tapping into that knowledge but often I go totally blank in those situations even if I have a passable to good grasp of the language. What kinds of questions have worked that don't make you out to be a complete stalker or idiot -- though I'd prefer to come across as the latter!

This might also be a good spot to share any hilarious or awkward moments that have occurred while asking strangers for advice or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

• Emily Nye

I say embrace your idiocy! Every traveler is a bit of an idiot, that's what separates you from the locals! If people can see that you are comfortable with the fact that you don't know what you're doing and still having a good time, they'll be more likely to open up to you.

That being said, food is the true international language. Be enthusiastic about your mission to find a good spot for lunch or dinner. If you know a specific dish that is a regional specialty, use it. Ask people where you can find some good, not too expensive goulash or haggis or whatever. But definitely don't accept the shrug and point answer. Get excited! And let your enthusiasm be contagious.

Another tip - do something locals do. If you're only at the tourist sites, you'll only meet tourists and people working in the tourist industry. I've gotten my hair cut in lots of places around the world, and it is always interesting to converse (or try to) with the hairdresser.

Finally, talk with the not-so-local locals. Almost everywhere you go has immigrants from other parts of the world. Some of the best local conversations I've had were with first generation locals who had traveled there to open a restaurant or shop. So go to that Malaysian restaurant in Serbia. You both know what it's like to be a fish out of water! It's something you have in common, so ask them about their experience and their views.

• ·
    • ·

Send Emily a Thank You Note