• Kelley Bode
  • "How do you make money traveling?"

Kelley Bode

Richmond, Virginia

How do you make money traveling?

I am planning on quitting my job to travel South America. I can always keep some in the bank to fly home if it doesn't work out, but I'd really like to make some cash to at least cover living expenses. I don't like the idea of teaching english, etc. because I'd rather cover more area and not be stuck to one place. I've researched some ideas like elance, working in a hostel, and correcting english menus for businesses, etc. But I want to find more creative ways to make money on the go (like cutting hair in hostels). What have you seen or done in your travels along these lines?

• Jodi Ettenberg

Hi Kelley, I've been travelling for about 7 years now, and initially it started out as backpacking for a year, then turned into a business. During that time I've seen a lot of blogs start up and aim to travel for free with comps, and I've seen passionate writers built a business around what they love to do (tell stories), as well as people travelling then coming up with a great idea for a startup and hunkering down to work on it. In my case I turned the blog I started for my mother into a business. How I make money is set out here: www.legalnomads.com/about, including selling hand-drawn maps of food that I commissioned from an artist. I mention the maps because setting up creative merchandise is a good way to fund travel and provide something of value to the market. (Hopefully!)

I think the first question is: what's the game plan? Are you looking to make money to fund continued travels, or to do so as a business eventually, converting the travels into something more. If it's the former, then Wandering Earl's piece might be of use: http://www.wanderingearl.com/42-ways-you-can-make-money-and-travel-the-world/

There are, of course, lots of sharing economy resources that will mitigate costs. Trading accommodation for services via Helpx.net, Housesitting via one of the many housesitting sites out there, or working on farms via WWOOFing.

I'm Canadian, but for Americans a guide to working holiday visas are here: http://www.gooverseas.com/blog/americans-guide-working-holiday-visas Getting one might allow you to work locally for bigger companies than hostels or restaurants, perhaps putting your existing skills to use or helping local businesses work in English and attract more sustainable tourism.

You can also sign up on www.eLance.com or www.odesk.com and work as a freelancer from afar, but in terms of covering costs it's less lucrative as it's not consistent work -- best to find project basis payments if you can!

Finally, if more long-term work with companies that let you travel doesn't turn you off, check out www.escapethecity.org's newsletter with listings for jobs, many of them location independent.

I realize this answer touches not just on your direct question but also some others, but when we're looking at travel and work it's often best to take a broad perspective first. I hope this was helpful!

• ·
    • ·

Send Jodi a Thank You Note