• Robert Wolke
  • "How do you find your next travel destination & what impacts your decision?"

Robert Wolke

Hamburg, Germany

How do you find your next travel destination & what impacts your decision?

So far, I did 2 bigger trips (each was over 2 months) to Central America and North America. Both because of friends recommendations. Now it's time for me to get out of my town again and discover something new. So I have a few questions on making my decision easier or get inspiration by you :)! 

1. How do you choose where to go next?
  2. What is important for you to make a decision?
  3. And which sources do you use?
  4. What kind of a traveller are you?

Budget is kind of important for me and so far I used friends as "source" :D I love to get to know cultures and don't need Parties all the time :)

I'm looking forward reading your awesome answers! 

How do you choose where to go next?

What is important for you to make a decision?

And which sources do you use?

What kind of a traveller are you?

• Gina Czupka

Fun question, Robert!

1. I'm constantly gathering information about destinations because I live, eat, sleep and breathe travel. I keep a running list of places I want to go, collect notes, hoard photos and if I find something new that piques my interest, I read about it voraciously and seek out information wherever I can get it.

2. For me to pull the trigger on going to a place, a few factors have to fall into line. Budget is always a top consideration. I want a relatively cheap flight and I weigh the cost of the flight versus costs on the ground. Of course, mood also plays a part, so if two destinations I'm interested in have relatively similar costs, we're going to just go with what "feels" right and what has the most pull on us at that moment.

3. Of course, the Internet is an essential (blogs, image searches, news sites, forums, etc.), as are guidebooks. But I also look to nonfiction books (memoirs and reportage, etc.) and novels set in a place. My husband and I both have fairly specific tastes and interests, so I veer off the usual data trail to see how those interests apply in a place I'm considering. I mine my local museums to see if they have anything related, I go to restaurants, I scour Netflix and Amazon and iTunes for movies and TV shows, I look for bits and bobs of information everywhere. Cumulatively, I put a ton of time into research, but it's more a way of life than it is time that I take out of other activities.

4. The word I most identify with as a traveler is "independent"—even though that term applies to my husband and I both, since we always travel together. What it means to us is forging our own path, figuring things out on our own and doing exactly what we want to do at the pace that suits us.

• ·
    • ·

Send Gina a Thank You Note