• Christina Zhang
  • "How do you deal with awkwardness during a solo trip?"

Christina Zhang

Santa Clara, California

How do you deal with awkwardness during a solo trip?

How do you deal with the awkwardness during a solo trip to a place you never visited (e.g. eating alone at the restaurant, going to a bar by yourself, having to take selfies etc...)? I really don't want be staring at my phone most of the time.. :p

Thank you! 

• Emma Borg

1. Sit at the bar - instead of a table at resto's and bar's. The stereotype about bartenders is true! They're generally up for a chat if they're standing around polishing glassware without much to do. They also hold the key to the secret society of hospitality workers - who are often quite a social and inviting bunch :) get in with them for a night out!

2. Bring a book where ever you go. Or a notebook - you'll give the appearance of being a mysterious writer or journalist and you'll end up taking interesting notes about where you are.

3. Remember that you're never alone on the road - connect with people on backpackr, or couch-surfing or other travel apps out there to hang with - or just shake off your insecurities and strike up conversation with people around you - that is one of the more gratifying and amazing things about solo travel and travel in general, you have to open yourself up to these experiences to fully understand how people enjoy traveling solo.

4. People watch and embrace it. Like another member has said - you'll never see these people again - that is a very liberating thing to own and comprehend, whoooooo cares! I guarantee you 99% of people wouldn't think twice about someone sitting solo at a bar etc - afterall how important do you think you are to these people? lol

At the end of the day you have to push yourself. You may be lonely, or tired of chatting to people, or embarrassed to ask someone to take a pic of you - push yourself. Get up and do it! You'll be so pleased with the results :D

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Great advice--love the tip about the notebook! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Emma a Thank You Note