• Kim Dayman
  • "How diligent are you with travel vaccinations?"

Kim Dayman

Canada

How diligent are you with travel vaccinations?

I've been all over  Europe, Central America and The Caribbean (I'm from North America) and have never had any travel vaccines, and contracting only one case of Giardia which I picked up in Cuba. Now I'm travelling to SE Asia for the first time and getting so many conflicting opinions on how important travel vaccinations are. I know some countries require certain shots before you enter but hearing some people say they've travelled all over with only minimally required shots while staying in high risk areas and have never had a problem in 10 years, while another story about a friend who got all her shots, travelled to an luxury urban area and caught typhoid. Also after asking friends a lot of people get conflicting info from different doctors depending on who you go to.

I'm curious fellow travellers, how diligent are you in getting your shots and how important is it in your list of travel prep? Success and horror stories welcomed!  

• Mimi Kalland

Anti malaria drugs may be more important. We spent several weeks in and around Thailand - checked with Dr; no warnings. But we forgot to say we were going to spend 3 days at Angkor Wat, Cambodia. Never saw a mosquito, never got a bite, but I came down with malaria 2 MONTHS LATER. The cure was horrific - five days in the hospital taking massive doses of antibiotics and quinine. I'm told the anti malaria drugs are not fun to take, but getting cured of malaria is much much worse.

• JR J.

JR J.

thanks for sharing Mimi. We always here people sharing stories about not taking any meds and being fine. Which makes the incorrect assumption that because they got lucky, then others will be fine too. Thank you for sharing what sounds like a very difficult time in your life. I'm sure many others will learn from it and hopefully be safe. · (1 likelikes)

• Kim D.

Kim D.

I agree with JR J. I appreciate hearing your experience and thank you for sharing. Too often you hear about people who rolled the dice and are fine and it makes the risk seem not as high which can be dangerous message. Very glad you're healthy and recovered <3 · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Mimi a Thank You Note