• Kay Kan
  • "Must see/do on a 2-day solo trip to Honolulu?"

Kay Kan

Canada

Must see/do on a 2-day solo trip to Honolulu?

I will be in Honolulu for 2 days during a cruise at the beginning of October. What are some budget (and time) friendly must see/do experiences for a solo traveller? 

Since I will be arriving, staying on, and leaving by ship, suggestions near the port or easy to reach without a car would be great.

I love music, art, architecture, markets, nature, watersports, and wine. I also enjoy a good tourist attraction, but would like some ideas that the average tourist might miss out on as well (local cultural experiences).

Thank you!

• Rick Schulze

Aloha Kassidy!

There is plenty to see and do near the port. You won't get much "nature" in town, but the downtown Honolulu area has plenty of music, art, architecture, and markets. If you happen be in port on the first Friday of the month there is a street party downtown called, um, First Friday.

These neighborhoods are all walkable from the port and have an eclectic mix of food and entertainment: Chinatown, Kaka'ako, the arts district along Bethel St and Nuuanu Ave, and the business district along Bishop St. The historic neighborhood around S King St and Mililani St has several square blocks of impressive architecture. For a glass of red wine at the proper temperature (rare in Hawaii, most serve it too warm) try Brasserie Du Vin on Bethel St. The very best coffee in town is at the Beach Bum Cafe on Bishop St.

Waikiki is about two miles from the port but worth the trip (the bus is cheap and frequent - and it qualifies as a local "cultural experience" too). Waikiki has a free weekly fireworks show on the beach every Friday, and miles of good beachfront to experience, all free! Locals favor Kaimana Beach Park at the Diamond Head Rd, across from Kapiolani Park. All of Waikiki is a tourist attraction in itself.

Have fun! Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Kay K.

Kay K.

Thank you! Unfortunately I'll be getting there 2 days too late for the First Friday party, I would've loved that! Would you suggest attending a luau? If so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

• Rick S.

Rick S.

Hello again! Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm not a big fan of the luau. They seem to have lost some of their authenticity, if you know what I mean. I attended the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center as part of a work function. It was ok. I also heard the one at Paradise Cove is pretty good. Very touristy - if you go, go expecting a certain degree of kitsch! · (1 likelikes)

1. Chinatown (attraction)
    2. Kaka'ako (neighborhood)
    3. Bethel St (unknown)
    4. Nuuanu Ave (unknown)
    5. Bishop St (unknown)
    6. S King St (unknown)
    7. Mililani St (unknown)
    8. Brasserie Du Vin (restaurant)
    9. Beach Bum Cafe (restaurant)
    10. Waikiki (neighborhood)
    11. Kaimana Beach Park (attraction)
    12. Diamond Head Rd (unknown)
    13. Kapiolani Park (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Rick a Thank You Note