• Brett Munster
  • "Suggestions for what to do in Hong Kong and/or Thailand?"

Brett Munster

Los Angeles, California

Suggestions for what to do in Hong Kong and/or Thailand?

My friends and I will be in Japan in mid May and are thinking of extending the trip for an extra 5-7 days and going to either Hong Kong, Thailand, or both.  Is 3 or 4 days enough time for each place or would you suggest spending the entire week in only one location and if so which one?  For those that have been to either location, any suggestions on places to go and things to see in Hong Kong and Thailand?

• Cameron Stark

Brett,

Can you cram Hong Kong and Thailand into 3-4 days each? Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be like cramming Seattle and all of California into 3-4 days each. I think you would get a good taste for Hong Kong in 3-4 days, but Thailand is so varied, that there is no way 3-4 days there could do it justice.

That being said, I would spend the full week in Thailand - Southern Thailand specifically. Take 1-2 days in Bangkok - Get acclimated to Thailand (It's a long flight and you're going from first to second world country). Be wary of tuk-tuk drivers and people on the street telling you attractions are closed (they're not). See the palace grounds and a few temples. There is a water ferry you can buy a day pass for that will take you to quite a few. After Bangkok, head South to Krabi and get a transfer to Railay (You'll take a shuttle, then a long tail boat). Railay is a small beach that is accessible only by boat and is also known for its amazing rock climbing. You can rent a longtail boat that will take you freestyle solo climbing, where you climb sans harness and when you fall or run out of energy, you jump into the water. If climbing isn't your thing, the beach is amazing, or you can head straightaway to Koh Phi Phi from Krabi. Koh Phi Phi is the island that the movie "The Beach" was filmed with Leonardo Di Caprio. It also has a great night scene, cheap food, great Thai massages and some of the best SCUBA Diving. Check out Blue View Divers . It is run by a Brit, Tom Bobs, who is absolutely hilarious. He and Matt Haliburton (an Aussie) have worked together for the past few seasons and will certainly show you some amazing sea life - think Lionfish, Turtles and Sharks, Oh My! They are a smaller dive shop and dive off a long tail boat, which allows them to get a little closer to the islands than some of the dive shops with bigger boats, it also means a smaller group to dive with, which means more attention from the dive masters. Although if you prefer a bigger boat, I recommend Hippo Divers - Both shops will make sure you have a great time, but also make sure your dives are safe. Koh Phi Phi has a price agreement amongst the dive shops, so you'll get the same price no matter what company you choose. If you haven't SCUBA dived before, no worries, they can all get you squared away with an initial experience, which would count toward your certification... or you can do your classwork in LA and get a referral for your certification dives and do those in Thailand. Once back on the island, visit Aroyd PP Island for some great Thai food! The owner just split from another restaurant, who raised their prices and started cutting corners and he didn't agree with it, so he took the chef and opened his own place. Also, Pum Thai Restaurant & Cooking School is awesome! The staff is quite friendly and if you want to learn how to cook a little Thai food, I recommend their classes. At night, Banana Bar, Koh Phi Phi is a great place. It's tucked away and on a roof, so the view is awesome at sunset. Koh Phi Phi is a small enough island that if you got really ambitious you could walk across it in a day, but it is big enough that you can find peace and quiet. That being said, a couple of the bars have been voted top ten bars by Lonely Planet, so the nightlife definitely gets going. The best fire show on the island is at Carlito's Bar and Slinky Bar is the place to be when all the other bars shut down. Very few Americans visit Koh Phi Phi (although the past couple years I have seen more), so if you're looking to make some international friends, it's a good place to do it. I now have people who will show me around Israel, Russia, Singapore, Japan, Australia, Ireland, England, Spain and South Africa that I met on Koh Phi Phi.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Clearly, I need to make my way to Koh Phi Phi the next time I'm out in those parts! · (1 likelikes)

• Carolina G.

Carolina G.

Hi Cameron! You mentioned getting a transfer from Bangkok to Krabi then heading to Railay, where do we get the shuttle for this and or is there an easier way to just get from Bangkok direct to Koh Phi Phi? Thanks! · (0 likelikes)

• Cameron S.

Cameron S.

Carolina, I always go to the transfer desk once I arrive in Krabi. If you prefer to skip Railay, you can ask for transfers to Koh Phi Phi. They'll load everyone on a little bus, then head off toward Krabi town. If you're going to Koh Phi Phi, you'll likely stop close to town and they'll transfer you to another shuttle to the pier, then you'll be on your way to Koh Phi Phi. Going to Railay, you'll likely stay on the bus, then they'll direct you to the long tail boat to take you to Railay, once he bus arrives in town. The easiest way in my opinion is via Krabi, but you could opt to fly to Phuket, then do a similar shuttle/ferry ride. For all ferries/shuttles, there are a lot of ticket brokers around town, so for your return back to the airport, or to hop a ferry from Railay to Koh Phi Phi, find the one with the best price and time for your schedule. · (1 likelikes)

• Carolina G.

Carolina G.

Thanks so much!! · (0 likelikes)

1. Blue View Divers (attraction)
    2. Hippo Divers (attraction)
    3. Aroyd@PP Island (attraction)
    4. Pum Thai Restaurant & Cooking School (restaurant)
    5. Banana Bar, Koh Phi Phi (attraction)
    6. Carlito's Bar (attraction)
    7. Slinky Bar (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Cameron a Thank You Note