• Lise Wilson
  • "Don't know much about the islands"

Lise Wilson

Huntsville, Alabama

Don't know much about the islands

I am planning to go to the island of Kauai sometime next yr. maybe in the spring. I have heard wonderful things about this island but want to know if it would be cheaper to rent a condo or get a hotel. I don't need a 5 star hotel but do want something fairly nice. I would be there at least 10 days and may even want to fly to another island while there to see a live volcano or go to the Pearl Harbor museum. I also don't want to go during the rainy season if there is one. Can anyone tell me about how much the flights would be from island to island? I travel a lot by myself and love to explore everything possible. Would love to snorkel, see the turtles, take a helicopter ride and eat some great food (but not go to the tourist destinations). Any advice would be really appreciated. 

• Maui (island)

Hawaii

• Kaua'i (island)

HI

• Terry Uemura

Kaua'i is considered to be the most beautiful of the Hawaiian Islands. It is not as developed as O'ahu or Maui O'ahu or Maui. It's main attraction is it's natural beauty! Lots of outdoor activities to make you appreciate what this island has to offer. There are several locations to choose from for accommodations. Poipu is the sunnier side of the island with swimmable beaches. This area is the more popular part where most guests choose to stay at. Accommodations range in this area from 3 to 5 star condos and resorts. On the North is Princeville and Hanalei. It is the lusher and greener side of the island and sometimes can get more rain. Resorts and condos are also from 3 star accommodations to luxury resorts. The center part of the island closer to the airport area is where you will find more affordable but still nice accommodations ranging from 3 to 4 star accommodations.

Interisland flights will run around a hundred dollars each way. Hawaiian will start nonstop service from Lihue Kaua'i to Keahole-Kona, Hawaii. They also have several flights throughout the day to O'ahu. In 10 days I would recommend you combine Kaua'i and O'ahu and plan Hawaii island for a completely separate trip since there is so much on that island to see that is worth exploring. I would suggest fly into Honolulu, O'ahu and do a one way to Kaua'i, spend the rest of your time on Kaua'i then fly back home from Kaua'i.

• Lise W.

Lise W.

After talking to several people who have been to Hawaii they too recommend going to some of the other islands while I am there and exploring them. Thank you so much for taking time to write this and I will certainly keep this for future reference. · (0 likelikes)

• Sharon B.

Sharon B.

I recommend Banyon Harber condos in Lihue, which is near the airport and across the street from the Sheriton. It is very affordable but I would ask for a condo overlooking the bay. All cruise ships come in there and it's interesting to see the ships come to port in a very narrow passage. Recommend KAUAI UNDERGROUNG GUIDE by Lenore & Mirah Horowitz · (1 likelikes)

• Lise W.

Lise W.

I just saw this recommendation and will certainly check on it. Thank you! · (0 likelikes)

1. Kaua'i (island)
    2. O'ahu (island)
    3. Maui (island)
    4. Poipu (city)
    5. Princeville (city)
    6. Hanalei (city)
    7. Lihue (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Terry a Thank You Note