• Leslie D
  • "Best places to visit on a honeymoon?"

Leslie D

Nashville, Tennessee

Best places to visit on a honeymoon?

I am looking for good places to visit on a honeymoon.  We are planning a trip of about six to eight days late in the spring, and we are interested in visiting Lanai specifically, but are there other destinations on the islands that we shouldn't miss?  We're looking for more outdoor-oriented activities and destinations and places that are unique to Hawaii specifically.  We want to try to keep our budget to a minimum, but we're willing to splurge for a few things if there are restaurants or attractions we can't miss.

• Kaua'i (island)

HI

• Maui (island)

Hawaii

• Lahaina (city)

Lahaina Hawaii

• Kristin Smith

Broke it down into 3 sections for you. Maui , Kaua'i and The Big Island ! I've never been to Lana'i City , but I think your best bet would be to take a puddle jumper for a day or 2 from Maui.

On Maui:

Road to Hana It is a LONG and WINDY road (hairpin turns for about 2+ hours) and you will want to stop along the way for the billion sights. My boyfriend and I did the trip together and drove ALL the way around the island. Most people stop at Hana or just past at the 7 Sacred Pools @ Haleakala State Park. If you have a 4-wheel drive car and don't mind a little crazier driving than what you just experienced...keep going. But only do it if there's still daylight time left. The drive WILL take all day, especially if you're starting at the Lahaina side of the island. Leave early.

There are so many places to stop along the way, I would suggest just picking like 3 or 4 and then stopping in Hana for some banana bread and a taco. This AWESOME app I would suggest is GyPSy. The guy talks you through the whole thing and picks some of the really best (less crowded) places to stop. There are like 80 different waterfalls, 79 gardens, 50 beachs...so you can pick any of them and be cool, but the app gives you the best options in their opinion. Its worth the purchase price because it's better than a guide book in my opinion.

One of the last stops I'd recommend is 7 Sacred Pools @ Haleakala State Park. Short hike to get here. You can swim in the waters. Just a really pretty site.

Iao Valley State Park and the Iao Needle . It's the rainy part of the island. It WILL be raining here, but it's got some beautiful gardens. It can be a really really quick stop. Like an hour. Super short hike, but super pretty. You can also skip it and not feel like you're missing the best thing.

Haleakala : We mountain biked down the volcano. It's so friggin fun you just go flying down. It's beautiful. Go to the top of the volcano, too. SO WORTH IT! It looks like Mars from up there. It's insane landscape and you can pick a very short hike (like half mile) or a longer hike (8 mile) and see it all. DO THIS.

Here's the bike ride info: http://www.bikemaui.com/

Pā'ia : An awesome surf town. Lots of fun restaurants and shops. Stop there for dinner on the way back from Hana

For surfing (not swimming) go to Honolua Wahine on the northwest shore or Lower Paia Park in the north (especially in the winter you will find a TON of surfers and a lot of pros)

For swimming and lounging beaches, there are a ton around Lahaina that are amazing. Easy to find spots that a guide book can tell you about, but i suggest Makena State Park for solitude and amazing sands. Not much for snorkeling, but we saw turtles here...

Big Island:

This island is so big and with all the diving we did, I feel like we barely scratched the surface. I'd recommend a guide book to help you out. So much nature. So amazing. My favorite!

You MUST go to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Non-negotiable. Go to the visitor's center first You must do this trail in the park: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143034-d131308-Reviews-Kilauea_Iki_Trail-Hawaii_Volcanoes_National_Park_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Thurston Lava Tube - you can tack this onto the hike above. I just really wanted to see a lava tube, but it wasn't anything crazy spectacular.

You can see live molten lava from the park, too. It's kinda trippy being that close to the stuff.

Manta Ray snorkeling.... if you're up for a crazy adventure, this is the most epic shit ever.

One thing I wanted to do, but didnt have a chance was the star gazing: Mauna Kea Summit

Punaluu Black Sand Beach : It's a rare thing to see black sand, and this is a cool spot. The water is cold, but you WILL see turtles.

Beaches: There are a ton of spots in Kona with all the hotels and resorts, but Hapuna Beach beach is the best spot for swimming and laying out. A well-kept secret

We did a lot of scuba diving here and not as much hiking, but there are so many places to explore. If you lived here, you could probably fill a year with new hikes and explorations

Kauai:

You will want to see the Na'Pali Coast State Park . You can only see it via boat, helicopter or hike. a good 1/3 of Kauai is completely untouched by humans and so you can only see it from afar unless you hike in...

Hiking Napali Coast - Kahauale'a Trail : For a REAL adventure, you can hike the entire 11 miles and camp out on the remote beaches, but I don't know if you want to pack all that gear. Instead, you can do a 4 mile (out and back) or 8 mile (out and back) hike to different points along the trail. You'll want to at least do the 4 miler...views like you've never seen. It's pretty tough at parts. Bring hiking boots for sure, it can get MUDDY if there's been any rain (and there probably has)

Catamaran Tours: Probably my favorite experience on my first trip out there. So fun... you can do a daytime or sunset tour on a catamaran...see dolphins, snorkle, lay out on the boat and the tours usually include booze.

Helicopter tour: It's expensive and its a little scary if you dont love to fly, but its SO BEAUTIFUL. You see waterfalls (and on some of the charters, you can land), the Napali Coast, North Shore...the whole island (which isn't huge). I've done it twice now...and can recommend these guys: http://www.islandhelicopters.com/

Waimea Canyon State Park - DEFINITELY take a hike here...you'll get some great views of the canyons and falls and some of the Napali coast.

The guide books will tell you not to go, but find the Queens Bath , they're amazing...just be smart and don't go near the edges and don't swim in them.

Go to Polihale Beach . Go for hanging out during the day and stay for sunset. You'll drive down a long sandy road to get there....drive slowly or a local will have to tow you out... you will want the Jeep or 4WD for this!

• Rebecca O.

Rebecca O.

Great answer..touched upon all of my favorites! · (0 likelikes)

1. Maui (island)
    2. Kaua'i (island)
    3. The Big Island (island)
    4. Lana'i City (attraction)
    5. Road to Hana (attraction)
    6. Seven Sacred Pools (attraction)
    7. Lahaina (city)
    8. Hana (city)
    9. Seven Sacred Pools (attraction)
    10. Iao Valley State Park (amusement park)
    11. Iao Needle (attraction)
    12. Haleakala (attraction)
    13. Pā'ia (city)
    14. Honolua Wahine (attraction)
    15. Lower Paia Park (attraction)
    16. Makena State Park (park)
    17. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (park)
    18. Thurston Lava Tube (attraction)
    19. Mauna Kea Summit (attraction)
    20. Punaluu Black Sand Beach (attraction)
    21. Kona (island)
    22. Hapuna Beach (attraction)
    23. Na'Pali Coast State Park (attraction)
    24. Kahauale'a Trail (attraction)
    25. Waimea Canyon State Park (attraction)
    26. Queens Bath (attraction)
    27. Polihale Beach (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kristin a Thank You Note