• Trevor Morrow
  • "Things to do in Golden, British Columbia?"

Trevor Morrow

Things to do in Golden, British Columbia?

I'm going to Golden, British Columbia (in the Canadian Rockies) at the end of August for an adventurous 3 days. I'm just starting to plan my trip and I'm looking for general tips and recommendations from people who have been. Any good bars, restaurants, or local food shops? Any great tour providers or outdoor activities not to be missed? 

• Kris King

Golden is a little epic adventure town on the edge of the Western Canadian Rockies.

This is a small town however it is packed with tours, side trips or great mountain adventures.

ACTIVITIES IN GOLDEN
    Sky Dive - Extreme Yeti Skydiving
    Paraglide - Altitude Adventures www.altitudeadventures.ca
    Whitewater Raft on the Kicking Horse (Class 4 - 5 River) - Glacier Raft Company Ltd
    Canoe or Stand Up Paddle Board on the Columbia River - Rentals at Higher Ground
    Birding in the Columbia River Wetlands - Wings over the Rockies
    X Country Bike / Downhill bike on over 300 kms of Trails - Golden Cycle Club
    ATV - Canadian Off Road Adventures
    Hike or Mountainier around Golden - Goldenhikes.com

for more ideas visit www.toursimgolden.com

Restaurants/Nightlife/Music
    Golden hosts a variety of western fusion cuisine and hosts BC number one restaurant as listed on TripAdvisor.

Since Golden in is on highway one there is an abundance traveling musicians that come through. In the summer there is weekly free outdoor musical shows and there is a music festival twice a year as well -Golden Sound Festival next one is Aug 23rd 2014.

Resturants
    Cedar House Restaurant - French inspired casual dining

Whitetooth Mountain Bistro - Wine and game meats catering to families and couples

The Island Restaurant - Fresh made breads, jams and sauces a great infusion menu of lamb, curries and mexican with a western traditionals a fresh light breakfast menu! Beautiful log cabin with antique furnature and welcoming all types of diners.

The Wolf's Den - a Burgers lovers dream restaurant

Firepit BBQ Smokehouse - if they can smoke it and cure it, it is done here!

Nagomi Sushi Takeout - only really open for the business day crowed 11 - 5 on weekdays it is a great change from the mundane canadian cuisine in Golden.

Eleven 22 Restaurant - Awesome date night and intimate setting for friends. This little old house serves up some of Goldens freshest and great asian fusion food.

There are many more restaurants from Greek to pub food but those are my go to.

MUSIC
    Double check the local paper or visit the pubs for more infor on weekly or daily entertainment.

Nightlife
    Rockwater Grill and Bar - the local large venue with loads of musics and theme nights
    Golden Taps Pub - a great little pub who is famous for pints with lunch and their epic Jam Night
    The riverhouse - if you like an awesome pattio with fire pits and heavy mettle music this place is for you!
    Omega Lounge - a trendy little pub lounge
    The Mad Trapper, Golden Bc - not a busy as the rest but they do host a great Karaoke Night on Fridays

The People

The town is a mix of tourism and logging industry with a hint of railroad. The people are friendly helpful and stoked to live in the mountains with it activites and access to hunting, hiking and more. It is also a quaint town where the stores close on sunday and holidays.

Any Questions give me a shout on Facebook.

• Trevor M.

Trevor M.

Hi Kris, Thanks so much for the info! I actually made it to Golden in August of 2013 (this question was posted a month or so before that). Still I learned a lot from your answer! Golden is amazing and I recommend it to people all the time. I actually got to experience many of the restaurants and bars you mentioned (who knew the food in this little town would be so great). I got to raft the Kicking Horse River (which was an experience of a lifetime), got out on the Columbia Wetlands, and went horseback riding. I can't wait to make it back to Golden (and generally explore BC more) so I can try a few of the restaurants you mentioned which I didn't get to...and skydiving or paragliding! Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

1. Extreme Yeti Skydiving (attraction)
    2. Altitude Adventures (attraction)
    3. Glacier Raft Company Ltd (attraction)
    4. Columbia River (attraction)
    5. Higher Ground (attraction)
    6. Cedar House Restaurant (restaurant)
    7. Whitetooth Mountain Bistro (restaurant)
    8. The Island Restaurant (restaurant)
    9. The Wolf's Den (attraction)
    10. Firepit BBQ Smokehouse (restaurant)
    11. Nagomi Sushi Takeout (attraction)
    12. Eleven 22 Restaurant (restaurant)
    13. Rockwater Grill and Bar (attraction)
    14. Golden Taps Pub (attraction)
    15. Riverhouse Tavern (attraction)
    16. Omega Lounge (attraction)
    17. The Mad Trapper (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kris a Thank You Note