• Joshua B
  • "Getting around digestive issues while traveling"

Joshua B

Charlotte, North Carolina

Getting around digestive issues while traveling

Took a trip to Tel Aviv, Israel where I managed to eat something that completely disrupted my digestive process. I had only eaten from common clean restaurants and some frozen prepackaged commercial grocery store stuff, so no idea what the culprit was. The effect was intense though. Everything I ate for nearly a week started to hurt my stomach to the point that I eventually could not handle putting anything in my mouth without feeling like I was going to vomit. The gassiness, bloating and all the toilet perching that went along with it really made that a miserable week.

Visited a pharmacy, got some BioCare live probiotics and downed them with some Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support 299v caps (pill form of GoodBelly) I just happened to have with me. 48 hours later I was less miserable, but the ache was still there and could tell something still was not right with my digestive tract in general. I'm used to being ultra-regular and healthy in that area, so I may be sensitive to disruptions

A friend of mine that travels regularly recommended I go vegetarian, or even vegan, while I am traveling abroad.

Does this have merit and why?

Other than the common recommendations such as not drinking the water, what are some suggestions for keeping digestion as healthy as possible while traveling?

How about best ways to mitigate damage when you realize that last meal you ate might have been tainted?

• Sean Kelly

Hi Joshua,

I usually behave like a locust when I'm traveling, and rarely do I have digestive problems; which is not to say it's never happened. However, I usually take several precautions where this issue is concerned.

I don't know about the vegetarian idea. On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but when you scratch past that surface you see several major flaws in the idea. Beside, I'm an omnivore, and that seems to work for me.

The truth might be not so much that you had something tainted, but rather that you ate something your system was unaccustomed to. Your body is simply used to the bacteria, and microbes of your particular local, as are all our systems. Every now and then you introduce something new into your system and it just can't handle it. This even happens to me in the US.

What I do is this; I try to get my system accustomed to its new local as soon as I can. I've found that a good way to do this is to treat yourself to some local yogurt. Locally made yogurt has several benefits. The local cows have been feasting on the local flora in order produce the milk it's made from. Also, some of the enzymes and bacillus that turn the milk into yogurt are unique to that local. These help slowly acclimate you system to its new surroundings. Besides, it tastes so damn good!

Water is a hot button issue. Local tap water contains all sort of microbial guests that hundreds of thousands of people drink every day with no ill effect. That doesn't mean it ain't bend you in half, though! Seriously, water-borne parasites are the cause of more illness in the world than just about anything else. Again, for the average traveler it's not that the water's bad, it's just that your system isn't use to it. I usually drink spring water, juices and tea.

Keep this in mind too; from the middle ages and through colonial America almost everybody drank beer (or Ale) in large quantities. This was because the quality water was always suspect. There are dioramas at Harvard University's library showing the development of the area through the years. With the science of bacteriology still two centuries away, many a barn was built right next the family well. If you were able to successfully brew beer it meant the water was safe to drink. Still, without a working knowledge of bacteriology, they just drank the beer. This is another strategy that has worked for me, too! ; )

Finally, eat cooked food. Although I hesitate to give this advice, I have to admit that ignoring it has made pay, dearly! The worst thing about it is, I love fruit, I love raw veggies, and you better not stand in my way if that's sushi I see!

The big culprit is salad, The soil can be host to billions of different microbial villains. Probably more if natural fertilizers are used. The obvious solution it to wash the greens, but this is bone using tap water. Now you've removed the soil only to increase the amount of microbial parasites. It was only a few years ago that right here in the United States we had a country wide tomato scare. In the end it turned out to be peppers, not tomatoes, that were tainted during the irrigation process.

If your best efforts fail you, you can still help with your own recovery. First of all, as unpleasant is it is, you're going to have to eat. Fasting only makes the problem linger. Believe me Josh, I've been there! I know there are time you'd rather stick needles in you eyes than eat something. You just need to bite the bullet (no pun intended, really!) and eat. Dry toast, white rice and bananas are all good ideas. The first two because they're bland and binding. Bananas have both these qualities, plus help replenish the potassium you've lost through, shall we say, unexpected dietary discharging. Oatmeal is also a good at getting you back to an even keel. Also, drink plenty of hot tea.

Probiotics can help, or at least they won't hurt. Again get them as local as possible, to help acclimate your system to its new surroundings. Other than that, I avoid most non-prescription medicines for stomach problems. I haven't known one that hasn't exacerbated the problem.

Most of all, don't let the fear of this deter you from traveling. I've experienced these problems right here in the USA, and the worst cases were from right in my own back yard.

• Joshua B.

Joshua B.

I'm actually thinking it all started with shawarma and those delicious pickled veggies. When I arrived, I did actually have quite a bit of local yogurts, but they didn't seem to help much. My body doesn't really like dairy tho, so I really did it just for the beneficial microbes as you also suggested. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note