• Josh Barnett
  • "What is the best way to deal with paying for items/currency during trip?"

Josh Barnett

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

What is the best way to deal with paying for items/currency during trip?

Never traveled to Europe before.  Is it best to get foreign currency before leaving, during trip, or is there a certain card/atm that is best to use?  We are traveling to Germany, Austria, and Czech Republic from the States.

• Debbie Lee

I personally prefer having a bit of local currency on me when I get there. Stateside, I called a bunch of currency exchange places. I managed to find one that had no exchange fee and had really good exchanges rates, so I just exchanged $1000 for a one week trip. Next time, I would probably do a fraction of that because I ended up paying with Visa at restaurants and stores.

Can't speak for the Czech Republic, but pretty much all the Euro countries that I've been to, credit card is a pretty common way to pay for things. The cash is just for if you need to buy some food and gifts at street vendors, or to ride a cab. As Julie mentioned, you should be familiar with your credit cards' international fees. I have a credit card that doesn't charge international fees and has really good exchange rates, so I solely use that when I travel.

I never needed to get cash from an ATM there, but just in case, I have a Charles Schwab debit card for this reason, because they reimburse all ATM fees, even internationally, so that's something to look into.

Hope you have a blast. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Steven M.

Steven M.

Great Answer Debbie! Just to be sure -- many countries (especially Eastern European ones) only take credit cards that have a Chip and Pin (or at least a Chip). If you plan to go anywhere there (Oh like Romania for example) you may want to look at getting a new CC that has a Chip and Pin .. various banks are now offering them. · (1 likelikes)

Thanks you, Steven, and also for this adding that! Very good to know! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note