• Jessica Ooi
  • "Europe: Can it be squeezed into a month? And how?"

Jessica Ooi

Georgetown (Malaysia), Malaysia

Europe: Can it be squeezed into a month? And how?

Hi Trippy-ans!

I've got a plan, but I'm not sure how to work about it and I hope you guys can give some input. I am planning a Europe trip this year, probably in October, for a month. I am most likely starting my trip in Germany, where I'll be flying in from Malaysia. I've got a relatively low budget, so, anything that saves me money would be a great bonus.

I'm thinking Germany - Austria - Switzerland - Italy (northern) - France - UK (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England) and then back to Germany to fly home (hopefully, with a stopover at Amsterdam).

Is it feasible? And what's the best way to go about it? I've been told that taking the night trains will help with resting and getting a place to sleep without having to check in to a hostel and still get to a new place by daylight.

Would love to hear your experiences if possible. Thanks!

• Amsterdam (city)

Amsterdam

• London (city)

London England

• Prague (city)

Prague 150 00

• Kirin Murphy

Hi there,

My recommendation: book a destination flight in one city, and a return flight in another city. Figure out a couple different pathways for you to get from A to B, but don't make your plans too specific. Give yourself room to change course and let figuring out your travel path be part of the adventure.

If you stay in hostels, you will meet tons of other travelers that will influence where you want to go. If you met some really cool people then maybe you want to hang out with them for an extra day or two, or decide to tag along with them to their next magical destination. Some of the best places I've traveled to are places I never heard of until a few days before.

If you take buses and trains it's not any more expensive to book the trip a few days before you go or a few weeks. And flights can be really cheap in Europe, sometimes they can be a better deal than trains, particularly for long distances. Sleeping on a bus or train kinda sucks. Altough i'm 6'4" so maybe it's different for normal sized people.

Also couchsurfing.com is a great place to meet local travelers and hosts.

• ·
    • ·

Send Kirin a Thank You Note