• Javier Lozano
  • "Gastronomic World Tour- Which country did you have your favorite meal?"

Javier Lozano

Zaragoza, Spain

Gastronomic World Tour- Which country did you have your favorite meal?

Hello,

I am preparing to report on a gastronomic world tour and would love to know what dishes you relate to a certain country? What is the best restaurant where you had this dish?

Thank you very much

• Vietnam (country)

• Peru (country)

• India (country)

• Gina Czupka

That's a tough question because so many countries' cuisines change between regions. Consider barbecue in the U.S.—it varies even within individual states (e.g. different types of barbecue in North Carolina). That said, I'll play along and offer some suggestions.

* Since I already mentioned it, I have to offer my suggestions for barbecue, because it's one of America's most beautiful food traditions. I'm partial to northern Alabama, and two of my favorites are Saw's BBQ in Birmingham and Old Greenbrier Restaurant outside of Huntsville. You can pretty much throw a dart at the menu at Saw's and get something amazing, but I'm particularly fond of the chicken with white sauce, which, though it might be heresy to say it, is better than Big Bob Gibson's. At Greenbrier, you've gotta go with the catfish and their hushpuppies, which are the best in the world, for my money.

* Austria is the epicenter of Central European sweets. Salzburg is my particular love, as it's sort of a second home to me. Yes, you can get Linzertorte, but to me, just that one cake doesn't capture the essence of it all. Go to Schatz-Konditorei or my personal haven/café-of-dreams, Cafe Fingerlos J.M. Fingerlos and see (and of course, taste) the variety of cakes, tartes and other sweets.

* Ethiopia has one of the best cuisines in the world. Doro Wat is frequently called the national dish, and it's a good one, but so too are things like tibs, pretty much any vegetable dish and one of my favorites, injera fitfit, which is shreds of injera (the spongy, teff-flour crepe/flatbread that most food is served on or with) that have been mixed with a berbere-based sauce. The porous shreds soak up the sauce and become even more delicious. And then you eat it with more injera. :)

* Brazil logically has a lot of variety to its food, but my favorite is feijoada, the stew of black beans, sausage and a variety of other cuts of beef and/or pork. Served with couve de mineira (collard greens), vinagrete, rice and a good sprinkling of farofa. Oh, and pao de quejio.

* If I was to go back to Peru right this minute, I'd be out trying to get my hands on a good pollo rostizado, ceviche, anticuchos de corazon and papas a la Huancaina.

* In Colombia, if you want a really famous dish or two, you can get a chocolate completo and or a tamale at La Puerta Falsa in Bogota. Cheese and hot chocolate is a better combo than you'd imagine, and the tamales are really very good. Also while in Bogota, try ajiaco, a chicken soup with potatoes and corn, made more interesting with the addition of crema and capers. Good stuff.

* In Hong Kong you obviously have to go for yum cha and get the classic dim sum like siu mai and har gow and so on. A cha chaan teng breakfast is also a fun experience that's unlike anything else.

* Obviously pho is the headline-grabber for Vietnam, and it shouldn't be missed, either northern or southern. My favorite dish, maybe anywhere in the world, is Hanoi's bun cha. My favorite place is 57 Hai Bà Trưng.

Really, every country has a lot to offer.

1. Alabama (state)
    2. Saw's BBQ (restaurant)
    3. Old Greenbrier Restaurant (restaurant)
    4. Austria (country)
    5. Salzburg (city)
    6. Schatz-Konditorei (restaurant)
    7. Cafe Fingerlos J.M. Fingerlos (restaurant)
    8. Ethiopia (country)
    9. Brazil (country)
    10. Peru (country)
    11. Colombia (country)
    12. La Puerta Falsa (attraction)
    13. Bogota (city)
    14. Hong Kong (city)
    15. Vietnam (country)
    16. Hanoi (city)
    17. 57 Hai Bà Trưng (address)

• ·
    • ·

Send Gina a Thank You Note