• Emily Vandenberg
  • "France in November- what to do and where to go?"

Emily Vandenberg

Ann Arbor, Michigan

France in November- what to do and where to go?

I'm going to France in November, flying into Paris. I've only got one week, so I'm not sure if I should just stay in Paris the whole time, or go somewhere else for a couple of days as well. Is one week enough time to go anywhere other than Paris? Also, is there anything I should keep in mind since it's going to be November? I know it's France's off-season.

I've never been so I'm really excited and want to do as much as I can, but I don't want to try to jam in too much and not enjoy myself. I'm more of a city person than a small town girl, and I love museums, architecture, parks, and, more than anything else, french food and wine!

Thanks in advance!

• Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Parc du Champ de Mars Paris Île-de-France 75007 +33 892 70 12 39

• Paris (city)

• Versailles (attraction)

• Valerie Stimac

Emily, Paris is beautiful any time of the year! It just won't be those iconic blue skies you've seen in other peoples' photos, but hopefully you won't get bad weather.

My first trip to Paris was in November 2011, and I spent the entire week just in Paris. Others who might be more familiar with the French train system might be able to give suggestions as to how much time you need to go somewhere out of the city, but I found that there was plenty to do in a week in Paris.

Here are some of my favorites (they're most people's favorites, I think):

Naturally, you have to do the Eiffel Tower. Try to do this as early as possible in your trip, so that if the weather isn't good the first time, you'll have other days to try again. Most people take their funny photos along the Champ de Mars — Tour Eiffel (the gardens near the tower), so that's worth a walk.

Seeing the sun rise from Sacre Coeur is definitely one of my favorite memories. It's a beautiful walk through Montmartre, especially if you can see the neighborhood at night and in the daytime.

My number one recommendation in the Paris Catacombs - Long Line tour. You will learn SO much about the history of the city. You'll also be down in a different part of town, which will give you the chance to walk around there. Maybe grab a coffee at Les Deux Magots (Hemingway's favorite) or visit Saint-Sulpice Church and the Rose Line (the original prime meridian).Paris Catacombs - Long LineIf you want to get out of Paris, the best option is Château De Versailles. It's a nice day trip, and the interior of the chateau really is unparalleled. The weather won't be great for exploring the gardens unless you're lucky, but they have carried wagons that can take you to the Petit Trianon and other buildings on the grounds.

Be sure to enjoy a crepe while you wait in line to climb to the top of Notre Dame Cathedral--there are some right across the street from the main entrance. And research if the Louvre Museum has any special admission deals when you're in town... sometimes they do discount nights or student events.

That covers the big stuff... The only other tip I have (and I can't tag it on the map because they're everywhere) is to find your nearest Monoprix to where you're staying--it's the best grocery store EVER.

OH! One more thing. You may be visiting around the time of the Fete de Beaujolais Nouveau. Be sure to pick up a bottle and try it--it's the holiday season wine that comes out in November every year.

• Pat C.

Pat C.

I agree!! · (1 likelikes)

• Emily V.

Emily V.

Thank you so much Valerie! So helpful :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
    2. Champ de Mars — Tour Eiffel (attraction)
    3. Sacre Coeur (attraction)
    4. Montmartre (attraction)
    5. Paris Catacombs - Long Line (attraction)
    6. Les Deux Magots (restaurant)
    7. Saint-Sulpice Church (attraction)
    8. Château De Versailles (attraction)
    9. Petit Trianon (attraction)
    10. Notre Dame Cathedral (attraction)
    11. Louvre Museum (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Valerie a Thank You Note