• Jason Nazar
  • "Where are the best places to visit and stay in the south of France?"

Jason Nazar

Where are the best places to visit and stay in the south of France?

Would love to see the countryside and have some authentic experiences - would also like to be by the beach for some of the time.

• Jacey & Scott M.

Jacey & Scott M.

Will you be basing in or around Cannes or Nice? · (0 likelikes)

• Jason N.

Jason N.

We can base out of anywhere, just trying to find the best spots to visit. · (0 likelikes)

• Monaco (country)

• Aix-en-Provence (city)

Aix-en-Provence Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Avignon (city)

Avignon Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Courtney Robinson

You're going to my most favorite part of the world, Jason--so jealous!

Here are my favorite spots there in no particular order:

Saint-Tropez - this might be one of the best people-watching towns in the world. It's a giant pain in the neck to get in and out of (be prepared for traffic) but well worth it. Lots of incredible shops and restaurants and one beautiful street after another. Don't miss it!Saint-Tropez
    Aix-en-Provence - They call this the Paris of the South and it's easy to see why. It's a very sophisticated town with just enough of a sleepy vibe to give it a small town feeling. Great markets here if you're into that. Great spas here, too!

Aix-en-Provence

Monaco - Again, the people watching here is like nothing else you've ever experienced and reason enough to go. Aside from that, though, it's a stunner of a place and while there isn't even really that much to do, it's such a lovely place to see that you should try your best to make it there. Monaco

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue - If you don't like antiques this place isn't for you but if you do, you're going to be in heaven. This town is to antiques what cheese is to Wisconsin--it's full of little antiques stores and has constant festivals (especially in the summer).

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Le Castellet - this is one of my all-time most favorite towns in France. It's essentially a village of artisans on the top of a hill that overlooks the French countryside. It's a lovely, really special place that very few foreign tourists know about. You'll need a car to get there, though. Le Castellet

Avignon - My French friends hate that I like Avignon (no idea why) but I stand by my assertion that it's a great, fun, interesting place that has a great cafe culture. A little touristy, no doubt, but still worth seeing for its history and its liveliness. AvignonMoustiers-Sainte-Marie - this town is a little like Isle Sur-la-Sorgue in that it specifically focuses on one thing--in this case faience ceramics--so if you're not into that you may not be a bit fan of the place. That said I can't stand faience and yet this town is one of my favorites because it's so beautiful and lively. Check it out if you can!Moustiers-Sainte-MarieSaint-Remy-de-Provence - I don't know about you, but when I'm on vacation I always seem to have a day when I just need to refuel and St. Remy is a great place to do just that. It's a sleepy little picturesque town where you can just have a nice quiet day in a pretty place. Not a lot goes on here, but that's what I like about it. Saint-Remy-de-Provence

Arles - In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I've never liked this town. I've always found it depressing, overrated, unnecessarily expensive and unexciting. That said, if you have even the slightest interest in Van Gogh, a visit here is a must. You'll see his work in a whole new light. Arles

Cassis - Cassis certainly isn't the most exciting place on this list from a social standpoint, but it's a lovely, pleasant seaside town that has some great restaurants and a couple of fabulous art galleries. I usually come here to or from my way to other places--it's a great stopping point to have some lunch by the water, buy some espadrilles and people-watch the locals. Cassis

1. Saint-Tropez (city)
    2. Aix-en-Provence (city)
    3. Monaco (country)
    4. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (city)
    5. Le Castellet (city)
    6. Avignon (city)
    7. Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (city)
    8. Saint-Remy-de-Provence (city)
    9. Arles (city)
    10. Cassis (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note