Erik Porter

London, United Kingdom

South of France travel ideas?

We are thinking of a 1-2 week trip to the south of France this year, most likely renting a car.  Any suggestions on must see places and also great B&B or boutique hotels? We don't mind a bit of driving and are happy to go away from the normal tourist crowds.  We love food and relaxation.

• Aix-en-Provence (city)

Aix-en-Provence Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Nice (city)

Nice Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Le Castellet (city)

Le Castellet Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• John Sappington

I like Les Baux-de-Provence as a good base for exploring Provence and there are several places to stay in the area.Les Baux-de-ProvenceLa Cabro D'Or is my first choice. It has become more expensive, but it's still worth the money and they have a fine restaurant with a great terrace in the warm months. La Cabro D'OrVery nice and less expensive rooms are available at Mas de l' Oulivie and Le Mas D'Aigret. Nearby Maussane-les-Alpilles Maussane-les-Alpillesis also a good base with several less expensive hotels and a very good bistro called La Place, which is connected to La Cabro D'Or. La PlaceLots of sites are easily reached from this area, including the Pont du Gard, which is well worth a visit. Pont du GardThe wine villages of Gigondas and Chateauneuf-du-Pape Chateauneuf-du-Papeare easily reached if you are a wine-lover.

Arles is an interesting city with a well-preserved Roman amphitheater and a great small hotel, Grand Hotel Nord Pinus.Grand Hotel Nord Pinus

Aix-en-Provence is a strikingly beautiful city, which many French think is the ideal retirement location. The university brings a youthful exuberance and the tree covered Cours Mirabeau is beautiful.Aix-en-Provence

Villefranche-sur-Mer is our favorite place to stay on the Cote d'Azur. Villefranche-sur-MerIt is adjacent to Nice, but somehow has not been ruined by tourists. It's on a magnificent bay, where cruise ships pull anchor, but strangely all of the cruisers seem to disappear shortly after they arrive. There is a very good beach and some good restaurants, and you can hop a train or bus to Nice and the rest of the places you might want to see in the area. I think the Welcome Hotel is one of the great small hotels. Welcome HotelIt's gotten more expensive, but the standard or comfort rooms are just fine. You can also rent apartments in town or check out Trip Advisor for a less expensive place. Being close to the port is very convenient.

Last June, we stayed in La Cadiere-d'Azur La Cadiere-d'Azurat the Hostellerie Bérard & Spa, which we loved. The two restaurants at the hotel are both excellent and there are several others in the village that looked good. We were in the least expensive room, which was quite small, but comfortable and there was a terrace with a great view. The village is low tourist, but in the heart of the Bandol region and just a short distance from Le Castellet, which has many shops and restaurants.

On the same trip, we stayed in the best B&B I have seen, Hotel de Vigniamont in Pezenas. PezenasIt's a very pleasant village in the Languedoc-Roussillon with some history and the B&B is first-rate. Babette Brun is a charming hostess who has a wealth of knowledge about the town and surrounding area. The breakfast is extensive. Make sure you print out the directions to the B&B from their website because it is difficult to find the first time.Hotel de Vigniamont

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Awesome answer!!! · (0 likelikes)

1. Les Baux-de-Provence (city)
    2. La Cabro D'Or (restaurant)
    3. Mas de l Oulivie (restaurant)
    4. Le Mas D'Aigret (restaurant)
    5. Maussane-les-Alpilles (city)
    6. La Place (attraction)
    7. Pont du Gard (attraction)
    8. Gigondas (region)
    9. Chateauneuf-du-Pape (city)
    10. Arles (city)
    11. Grand Hotel Nord Pinus (hotel)
    12. Aix-en-Provence (city)
    13. Cours Mirabeau (attraction)
    14. Villefranche-sur-Mer (city)
    15. Nice (city)
    16. Welcome Hotel (hotel)
    17. La Cadiere-d'Azur (city)
    18. Hostellerie Bérard & Spa (restaurant)
    19. Le Castellet (city)
    20. Hotel de Vigniamont (hotel)
    21. Pezenas (city)
    22. Languedoc-Roussillon (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send John a Thank You Note