Jaclyn Rutigliano Iervolino

New York, New York

4 days in Southern France

Hi there!

Heading to Europe for a family vacation-- inclusive of an infant and grandparents-- in March and thinking of including 4 nights in the South of France to mix things up. We would be taking the train in, or driving, from Tuscany and would love some guidance in thinking about a good home base. 

Being that it is March, my first question is if the French Riviera is even a good idea during this time of year. Would hate to go when it is empty and dreary. Alternatively, perhaps staying in an area in Provence would provide a good taste of the French countryside. We would love to be in one location and then take day trips by car or train. Seeing the coast, but then also the countryside, perhaps some wineries, etc. Really open to anything! Just a good taste of Southern France.

Thank you in advance! 

• Monaco (country)

• Aix-en-Provence (city)

Aix-en-Provence Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Nice (city)

Nice Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Anna Giannarou

Now, I've been there in March and was lucky enough to have perfect weather (compared to the weather I've encountered in July on a previous visit). Don't worry about it being empty. It won't be. For a base I'd suggest either Cannes or Nice (and of course explore both of them). You definitely have to visit Monaco which you'll come across while driving from Tuscany.

Other places worth a visit: Grasse (perfume "capital" of France), Saint-Paul-de-Vence (a picturesque village on the hill), Saint-Tropez and Port Grimaud (this is my favorite place in the area, and maybe the only place you'll find empty at that time). Another place I discovered in my latest trip was Moustiers-Sainte-Marie up in the mountains. Really nice village, plus you get a glimpse of the Gorges du Verdon

If you you want to venture further to the west I can also suggest Aix-en-Provence (another favorite of mine) and Avignon. Of course you can do Marseille too!

Have a nice trip!

1. Cannes (city)
    2. Nice (city)
    3. Monaco (country)
    4. Grasse (city)
    5. Saint-Paul-de-Vence (city)
    6. Saint-Tropez (city)
    7. Port Grimaud (attraction)
    8. Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (city)
    9. Gorges du Verdon (attraction)
    10. Aix-en-Provence (city)
    11. Avignon (city)
    12. Marseille (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Anna a Thank You Note