Jake Vanags

Los Angeles, California

Flying with a Dog?

I have a friend who wants to bring her dog on an upcoming flight. I know each airline has their own rules when it comes to traveling with a pet, but has anyone on Trippy done this? Any step-by-step processes or tips you can share?

Thanks!!!

• Regan Wood

Yep, I've flown with my small-ish dog to Telluride, Baja California Sur, Montana, Chicago...you name it. Is it big or small? Because that changes it dramatically. I'm going to assume small as flying a large dog can be dangerous and should only be done because it's absolutely necessary. Here are some tips for flying with a little guy:

1. Exercise the heck out of him the morning of. Really, wear his ass out.
    2. Don't feed within 4-6 hours of the flight and make sure he's pooped before the flight.
    3. You have to make a reservation and pay for both ways.
    4. Then you have to walk up to the counter to check in. Passengers with pets can't use the kiosks or SkyCab.
    5. They make you take the little guy out and walk through security with him, but then you're kind of done.
    6. The right bag is essential and I HIGHLY recommend the the SturdiBag in a size Large. I've had it for 10 years and it fits on all planes due to its unique tent-like construction and it's light as a feather. It's also made in the USA by a small family owned company in Oregon who have FedExed me new pieces for free when I've needed them.
    7. If it's a nervous dog, I've had luck with Rescue Remedy drops beforehand. They make some specifically for dogs.

Good luck!

• ·
    • ·

Send Regan a Thank You Note