• Glenn S
  • "7-10 Days In Finland -Summer 2015"

Glenn S

Austin, Texas

7-10 Days In Finland -Summer 2015

Hello all. I spent a week in Helsinki last summer and had one of my best trips ever. I loved everything about it! Now I want to see the rest of Finland. Although I'm usually an independent traveler I have considered an escorted tour since I hate driving and rail coverage is somewhat limited  in much of the country. However, I haven't decided not to go it on my own.

So - I have two questions:

1) are there any tour companies that do excellent tours of Finland ONLY - I have no desire to redo the other Baltic countries although I think I'd enjoy a few days in Russia

and

2) if I do this trip independently, what should I add to my agenda that's accessible by rail?  I already know I'd like to see Turku and Savonlinna for sure, but I'd also like to see the countryside and the lakes.

• Johanna Granbacka

Hello Glenn,

Unfortunately I am not aware of any tour company, that would give you a good tour of Finland; there might be one, but I would place my money on independent travelling.

If you are going to Savonlinna, there are lots of lakes in those parts of Finland; if you take a bus or a taxi for the last leg of your journey, you'll get to nice places easily in eastern Finland. Punkaharju is really beautiful, and if you have time, I would recommend renting a summer cottage by lake for a couple of nights; http://www.lomarengas.fi/en/ might give you a good selection.

Porvoo is also really nice small town near Helsinki, you can get there by boat as well as by bus (trains do not go there).

As I have lived 20 years in Tampere and Tampere is nearly always selected as a most wanted city to live in Finland, I would recommend seeing Tampere as well. It is only 1,5 hours by train from Helsinki and 2 hours by train from Turku.

Also if you have time flying or taking a night train to Lapland, it would give you entirely different perspective to Finland.

Johanna

1. Savonlinna (city)
    2. Punkaharju (city)
    3. Porvoo (city)
    4. Tampere (city)
    5. Lapland (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Johanna a Thank You Note