• Tanya Parker
  • "Where should I go for a warm, island vacation next winter?"

Tanya Parker

Los Angeles, California

Where should I go for a warm, island vacation next winter?

Next year, my family and I are planning on escaping the east coast snowstorms for a warmer winter wonderland. There's a lot of us: 7+ in the group. I'm a new college grad, so my budget is conservative. And it might be anywhere from 3-14 days.

Where's a good place for a family vacation (looking internationally)?  Fiji? Bora Bora? Tahiti? I wouldn't mind a spot that's popular with tourists, but I would prefer to discover islands I've never heard about. My ideal vacation is filled with tons of activities like snorkeling, parasailing, or something unique to the location.

• Brew Johnson

The other posters are correct that Bora Bora is probably the most beautiful place on earth, however, if I were to pick a destination for a family trip, I would choose Fiji . Fiji is also one of the most beautiful places on earth, it is much less expensive if you are on a budget, and the people are some of the most amazing in the world. If you do decide to do French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc.), I would choose Moorea over Bora Bora, as there is more to do on land and around the island and it wont break your budget (as much).

If you go to Fiji, I am not a huge fan of the resorts on Denarau Island , as they are larger chain hotels (Wyndham, Sofitel, etc.), unless you need a night near the airport to make travel easier, so I would recommend getting out to the Mamanuca Islands . There are a lot of small island hotels to choose from. A good option for a family island resort in the Mamanucas is Castaway Island . Easy ferry ride from Nadi (where the international airport is), not too expensive, and fun for families.

If you want to get out and explore, I personally think Vanua Levu is an incredible place. Vanua Levu is the second largest island in Fiji and is very rural, beautiful, etc. On Vanua Levu, the most amount of hotels are around Savusavu . Some are very expensive (Jean Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands, Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa , etc.), but there are some good vacation rental/small hotel options, like the Naveria Heights Lodge and Fiji Beach Shacks and if you need an inexpensive hotel with great views for a night or two, the Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel is right in the middle of town, with amazing views. If you'd like to have a mix of frontier adventure and ultra peacefulness, combined with great food, 2 or 3 nights at Palmlea Farms Lodge & Villas Fiji would make sense. This is a really interesting little place that is off-the-beaten path on an organic farm, but has access to the Great Sea Reef (the third longest, continuous barrier reef in the world), has amazing food and is one of the more peaceful places I've been. Palmlea is the type of place that you can spend the day on the water exploring little islands, mangroves, sand spits, etc., then come home to an amazing meal (seriously, this tiny little place in the middle of nowhere has some of the best food in Fiji). Not a typical "resort" but worth it for people who want to see a different part of the island that most never see. Palmlea is close to the airport Labasa , which has multiple flights per day. Also, I should note that the drive between Palmlea/Labasa and Savusavu is incredibly beautiful. Another small hotel/resort on the tip of Vanua Levu just across from Taveuni Island is Sau Bay Fiji Retreat, which sits in a beautiful bay at the tip of Vanua Levu and has a great vibe.

So, if you are the type of family that wants to explore a little bit, I think a combination of Palmlea, Savusavu and Sau Bay would be pretty amazing (and not break the bank), but if you want to go to one or two resorts, sit on the beach and enjoy drinks, check out Castaway Island or some of the other island resorts in the Mamanucas. Either way, you'd have an amazing trip as Fiji is a special place.

1. Fiji (country)
    2. Moorea (island)
    3. Denarau Island (city)
    4. Mamanuca Islands (city)
    5. Castaway Island (hotel)
    6. Nadi (city)
    7. Vanua Levu (city)
    8. Savusavu (city)
    9. Jean Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands (hotel)
    10. Namale the Fiji Islands Resort & Spa (hotel)
    11. Naveria Heights Lodge (hotel)
    12. Fiji Beach Shacks (hotel)
    13. Savusavu Hot Springs Hotel (hotel)
    14. Palmlea Farms Lodge & Villas Fiji (hotel)
    15. Labasa (city)
    16. Taveuni Island (island)
    17. Sau Bay Fiji Retreat (hotel)
    18. Castaway Island (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brew a Thank You Note