• Stefania Skorski
  • "Best adventure place in October?"

Best adventure place in October?

My boyfriend and I have a week of vacation this October, and we want to go somewhere where we can experience a lot of beautiful nature and outdoor adventures, but we would rather not have too much rain or cold! We were thinking about Iceland, but I've heard weather tends to be quite unstable there in this period, and we want to see the place at its best :) Anyone have any recommendations? We live in Scandinavia, and can't travel too far from Europe in this short week!

• Alex Jorge

I HIGHLY recommend Iceland, weather there is always a tid bit unpredictable but it won't yet be to cold in October. I went in January was outdoor all the time, you'll be fine :)

Other options North to South:

Beieren. Indeed it will be Octoberfest season (an adventure in itself ;) but there is excellent hiking around Munich and excellent small rural towns to explore. Try the areas around Lakes Starnberg and Tegern or, for real stunning seclusion, Königssee i

Beieren

Turkey. A bit of a different option but may be worth looking at the outdoor activities (including hiking, horseback ridding, balooning, etc) in Cappadocia.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Croatia. The Dalmatia Coast will still be warm but much less prone to tourists in October. Croatia holds a tone of options for nature lovers, from the Plitvice Lakes National Park to Dubrovnik and the Elaphit Islands.

http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/95672132080/dubrovnik

The Dalmatian coast has the added advantages of great winneries to visit on your downtime and very easy access to Montenegro, another great outdoor destination.

MontenegroItaly is a surprisingly great country for outdoor adventure type activities. Sicily leads the way on my list, with excellent hiking, sea and sun...plus the added fun of a volcano. I recently discovered Matera and Murcia canyon hiking in the southern province of Basilicata. In the North, the Dolomiti mountain range is a great option and Lake Garda near Milan offers both water sports, hiking and other adrenaline filled activities.

Lake Gardaimage from heffernansweddingsabroad.ieI just returned from the Ardeche in France and cannot recommend it more highly. This area is famous for beautiful gorges where kayaking, rafting rock climbing and hiking are widely available. The province is next to Provence in the south of the country so also very picturesque and warm. I stayed in Vals le Bains at the Pavillon Kalensa, highly recommend it... albeit you need a car to get around.

Another good option in France would be the Languedoc-Roussillon, with a base in Carcassonne around the Canal Midi.

Languedoc-Roussillonimage from france-travel-secrets.comPortugal is also a great country to look for warm outdoor activities in the Autumn. The Alentejo is one of my favourite regions in Europe but you can also visit the mid-Atlantic coast near Aveiro, Obidos and the Berlengas Island. The place I would most recommend the most though is Madeira, an amazing volcanic island with incredible hiking and water sports. It is sure to still be sunny there too!

Madeiraimage from blog.mysteriousperson.com

Good luck planning, I hope you find the perfect break spot!

1. Iceland (country)
    2. Bavaria (state)
    3. Munich (city)
    4. Königssee (unknown)
    5. Cappadocia (region)
    6. Dalmatia (region)
    7. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
    8. Montenegro (country)
    9. Matera (metro area)
    10. Dolomiti (attraction)
    11. Lake Garda (neighborhood)
    12. Ardeche (metro area)
    13. Languedoc-Roussillon (region)
    14. Carcassonne (city)
    15. Madeira (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note