• Dahlia Fauzi
  • "2 Week Backpacking Trip to Europe in December- doable with just a carry on?"

Dahlia Fauzi

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2 Week Backpacking Trip to Europe in December- doable with just a carry on?

I'm doing a 2-week trip to these cities (Paris, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid & Rome) in beginning of December and I was wondering if it's possible to do this trip with just a carry-on (luggage / backpack), preferably backpack. I'm trying to travel as low budget as possible and my travels consist of inter flights with easyJet, Ryanair & Norwegian air. Reasons I'd prefer to backpack; ease of travel, budget & time. I want the check-in flow to be smooth. I know the weather will be cold and wet during this period but has anyone done it? I've done some research on the carry-on size permitted by those airlines and it seems 40L - 45L backpack should be fine? I could be wrong. Packing tips would be great too! 

• Sabine van der Horst

Hi Dahlia,

It really depends on what type of girl you are and if you don't mind wearing the same clothes over and over :-).

Like Maria suggested on the flights wear layers; warm coat, nice warm scarf, your hat and your heaviest, biggest boots. You just need 1 extra pair of shoes I guess. When going out or having drinks in Europe (especially Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Berlin) it is totally fine wearing flat decent shoes and jeans. Especially in winter. So don't bother bringing anything fancy or heels :-).

In total 3 trousers should work.

Take note of the liquid rules at all airports!! No more than 10 items, 100ml per item. So just bring small packages. At any airport, but also at most drugstores in all cities (in Amsterdam at 'Etos' and 'Kruidvat') you can buy mini toothpaste, mini deodorant, mini shampoo and so on.

Please beware that Easyjet especially is very strict with hand luggage rules. You can only bring 1 item of handluggage weighing not more than 10 kilos. So also your purse, camerabag or small backpack or any other bag your bringing MUST fit in that 1 item. Also take note of the size of your backpack (56 x 45 x 25cm), because they WILL ask you to measure it on the spot. If it doesn't fit you have to pay (not sure how much, but a lot).

Have fun! Even though it might be rainy and cold I am sure you will love it!

• ·
    • ·

Send Sabine a Thank You Note