• Darcy DeLong
  • "Dream volunteer location and work?"

Darcy DeLong

Orlando, Florida

Dream volunteer location and work?

If you could go anywhere in the world to volunteer for one month, where would you go and what would you want to do?

• Jillian Geer

If I could go anywhere in the world to volunteer, it would be in Nepal. Specifically, I'd volunteer at Sunsar Maya, a non-profit that focuses on educating the orphaned and underprivileged children in Kathmandu. From what I have learned, orphanages are struggling financially since they have shut down international adoption. I believe that, like all children, the Nepali children deserve a chance at a better future irrespective of their financial and parental situations. Sunsar is helping to provide education and hope for this future. I would do the work needed most to make an impact, and all that I could to make each moment count.

I would also return back to Tanzania to see and teach the children of Stella Maris Primary School. I was lucky enough to spend a few months volunteering with the Mailisita Foundation, a self sustaining education project for underprivileged children. It was a once in a lifetime experience and it has shaped who I am today. I will never forget the community. I miss them all and would give up any vacation to give my time here again. If anyone wants more information about volunteering in Mailisita or Africa in general, please let me know!

• Nathaniel B.

Nathaniel B.

love this · (1 likelikes)

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Thanks, Nat. Planning Nepal for 2015 :) · (0 likelikes)

• Peter D.

Peter D.

Two months in West Africa way back when I was 21 changed my life. It wasn't volunteering exactly -- I had to pay to go -- but the organization, Operation Crossroads Africa, is still around. http://operationcrossroadsafrica.org. It's a fantastic way to immerse yourself in African culture. · (0 likelikes)

1. Nepal (country)
    2. Kathmandu (city)
    3. Tanzania (country)
    4. Mailisita (attraction)
    5. Africa (continent)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jillian a Thank You Note