• varun gupta
  • "Does long term travel affect your career?"

varun gupta

India

Does long term travel affect your career?

I am planning to bagpack across south east Asia for one year. But I am afraid of my career ahead. What will I do after I complete my dream of bagpacking. Right now, I am 25, working in a marketing firm. I am thinking to quit and travel. I am constantly threatened by the thought of what will I do next whether I will be able to get job or start my own. Is getting job is easier or difficult after a year gap of traveling?  Any suggestions please

• Don Worsham

Mate, at the risk of sounding old, you're in your 20s! Jobs come and go. Careers come and go. Heck, in this age, entire industries come and go. Allow me to quote Gandhi: "[L]ive as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Travel is the ultimate education. Reprogram yourself as a life-long learner and you will transcend the limitations of the markets. Re-plot your notions of success outside the rubric of any job, career or degree you now know. If you do this then the answer to your question will become self-evident: it will not be easier, or more difficult, to find a job post your travels. Instead, your life will lead you to the opportunity you will next explore. Note: such an approach is not a license to simply float though life (though I would argue that there are times when 'floating' is the proper choice). It is license to take control of your life as a progressive journey, to properly plan, to make mistakes, to set your own course and, above all, to learn as much as you can about everything you can. Cheers - Dhaka

• varun g.

varun g.

Thank you for such a valuable advice n I think your message will play an important role to take my final decision. · (0 likelikes)

1. Dhaka (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Don a Thank You Note