• Kristin Hunger
  • "12 days in USA - where to travel?"

Kristin Hunger

City of Edinburgh, United Kingdom

12 days in USA - where to travel?

I have 12 days in the USA in april. I have flights into and out of Dallas, TX. I can rent a car or fly. I had considered travelling to San Francisco and LA while there. Any recommendations?

• Santa Fe (city)

Santa Fe New Mexico

• Austin (city)

Austin TX

• Huntsville (city)

Huntsville Alabama

• Sean Kelly

It is possible. The question should be, is it worth doing.

Dallas to Los Angeles is 1,436 miles (2.311 km), and Dallas to San Francisco is 1,817 miles (2,924 km). Driving either route takes twenty four hours, and that's without stopping. In addition, Los Angeles to San Francisco is a six hour, 382 mile (615 km) drive, minimum.

So, driving to any of these locations is going to take at least a day out of your itinerary. Now, mind you, if driving is a passion of yours, then by all means, this is for you. However, if what you really want to do is spent time in any of these locations, then you need to ask yourself if the time lost, expense and aggravation are worth it.

I did some quick number crunching for you. Right now the cost of a rental car in April is about $200. Assuming you use a compact car with good gas mileage, you'll spend $75 in fuel just get to Los Angeles. With a return trip to Dallas that come to $350. I didn't figure tolls, parking and insurance into this figure. Now, round trip airfare from Dallas to L.A. in the same time period starts at around $166.

Personally, I've never been to there, but the people I know from L.A. tell endless horror stories about the traffic there. So you need to think about the time you'll spend sitting in traffic. It is time lost. Whenever I'm in San Francisco I only use a car when traveling into or out of the city. I walk or use public transportation all other times.

I also priced flying from Dallas to L.A., then to San Francisco, and back to Dallas. I see airfares starting around $360. It seems that for relatively the same amount of money you can fly to your desired destinations and save yourself a great deal of time in the process. After all, less time in transit means more time site seeing.

Finally, I'd like to toss this idea out to you. I've only driven a little bit of the pacific coast highway, but I'll never forget it. It's stunningly beautiful, and a blast to drive. I have a personal goal of taking my Triumph up the west coast before I check out. Needless to say, I priced this out too.

Flying from Dallas to L.A., then from San Francisco to Dallas can be done for around $227. A one way car rental from L.A. to San Fran; $64. A tank of gas will cost about $30 on the coast. All said, that runs about $320.

Oddly, the most complicated way to do things (in terms of making the necessary reservations) is also the most cost and time effective way to do things. Also, it just may be the most fun!

Sorry, for throwing so much data at you, but I hope it helps. Let me know what you do. I'd love to hear about it.

• Jennie M.

Jennie M.

The weather in Los Angeles is usually better than SF but it depends on month you travel. If winter, the fog can be very bad from LA to SF in the valley, so keep in mind. Agree nothing more breathtaking than driving the Pacific coast Highway 1 (PCH 1 coast). A lot of scenery, views and small towns along the way. Visit Big Sue to view CA redwoods too. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note