Joe Studlick

Houston, Texas

Sights in/near Cusco

We will be spending 3 days at Lake Tticaca in October with 3 days in Cusco before we do the Salkantay trek.

What to see in and near Cusco? Primarily cultural.. Restaurants, tours

There will be 4 of us - 2 couples - both in early 60s and good health. 

• Brew Johnson

You won't have any issue finding great things to do in and around Cuzco, but I would definitely get out to the Urubamba Valley and visit the town of Pisac. The town itself sits in a beautiful valley on a river, and there is an Indian Market that you can explore, but the main reason I would go is to hike up the ruins at the Parque Arqueologico Intihuatana - Pisac. The ruins are interesting and the hike up was about an hour, but the main reason I think it is worthwhile is that it gives you a nice warm up for your trek over Salcantay.

The ruins at Ollantaytambo are very intersting as well, but they are much further up the valley.

If you can do a trip outside Cusco on a Sunday (best day), Tuesday, or Thursday, the market at Chinchero is incredible. Very local and extremely good cultural experience. Less touristy than Pisac's market (which is still very good), with lots of locals in traditional outfits who come out of the mountains to barter vegetables and goods, locals drinking locally made beer, etc. A really interesting place.

1. Cusco (city)
    2. Urubamba Valley (attraction)
    3. Indian Market (attraction)
    4. Parque Arqueologico Intihuatana - Pisac (attraction)
    5. Ollantaytambo (city)
    6. Chinchero (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Brew a Thank You Note