• Brenda Foley
  • "How long would you stay in Cusco -Peru? "

Brenda Foley

Daylesford, Victoria

How long would you stay in Cusco -Peru?

I am flying into Cusco from Lima on the 18th on June with some friends. Plan to take the train to machu picchu on the 19th, check out cusco on the 20th then they are flying out on the 21st. I am wondering whether to stay in cusco and use it as a base to go and see something else until the 25/26th or head back to Lima? 

Can anyone recommend something amazing to do by myself? 

• Pisac (city)

Pisac

• Cusco (city)

Cusco

• Sacsayhuaman (attraction)

Sacsayhuaman

• Amy Marie

Well, let me put it this way: I originally planned on visiting Cusco for 10 days back in April--and ended up staying for 5 months. There is lots to see, and I highly recommend using it as a base (don't go back to Lima!). I could go on for pages about what you could do there! The previous answers provide a lot. I'm just going to go and list my favorite spots in Cusco as I think of them:

1) Templo de la Luna - mysterious, ancient ruins a 45-minute walk up the hills of Cusco. Perfect place to go to get away from the noise and crowds--and it's free (a rarity for ruins in Peru).
    2) Green Point restaurant in San Blas - my favorite restaurant. I was there nearly every day.
    3) The Meeting Place cafe - Good place to meet other travelers, especially if you're feeling homesick
    4) Stay in Urubamba one night at Las Chullpas Eco-Lodge. It's the most serene, hidden gem I've ever found. There is an alpaca named Chloe who runs right up to you when you call her!
    Las Chullpas Eco-Lodge
    Plus, there are verdant gardens, a cat, two dogs, lots of hammocks...just paradise.

Las Chullpas Eco-Lodge

Urubamba itself doesn't have much (it's a big town, but no tourist sights), but lots of people use it as a jumping off point to Moray (Inca agricultural site) and Salineras (salt pools). Salineras was my favorite part of the Sacred Valley tour. It's so visually stunning, and each pool is owned by a family that harvests the salt to make money.

General Trippy Media
    5) Qorikancha is a must-see in Cusco. It was the Inca Empire's most important temple, dedicated to the sun god. It used to be literally covered in gold, until the Spanish conquered the city and pried gold bars off of its walls. Today part of it is a convent, and you can tour the inside.

6) Stop by Pantástico Bakery in San Blas and order the Queque de Maracuya. In fact, eat EVERYTHING maracuya you can find in Cusco because it's the most amazing flavor (basically it's a type of passionfruit) unique to Peru.

Most importantly, try not to brush off Cusco as just a place you have to pass through on your way to Machu Picchu. It is chock full of history that many people (including myself) overlook. For example: There is a Starbucks right in the Plaza de Armas that a lot of tourists frequent--but RIGHT outside of it is a huge wall that is an original Inca construction from the 15th century! I passed by it every day and never truly stopped to think about that.

General Trippy MediaPhew. Sorry for the rambling. I'm really passionate about Cusco. If you have any further questions, please let me know! I'm happy to help. You can also check out my blog for more detailed Cusco posts.

Buen viaje!

• Gaturris C.

Gaturris C.

if you go to peru visit macaw adventure and get best prices for it highly recommend ... www.macawadventure.com · (0 likelikes)

1. Templo de la Luna (attraction)
    2. Las Chullpas Eco-Lodge (hotel)
    3. Urubamba (city)
    4. Qorikancha (attraction)
    5. Pantástico Bakery (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Amy a Thank You Note