• Tak Ogihara
  • "Honeymoon in Croatia for adventurers. "

Tak Ogihara

Dobbs Ferry, New York

Honeymoon in Croatia for adventurers.

Hello all, thanks for your help. My awesome new wife and I got hitched last June, but we skipped the expensive wedding instead for an epic road-trip through India with no plans/reservations. Now, we're planning our wedding and "official" honeymoon in Croatia. 

So, what's a good adventure in Croatia? I'd like to spend at least 2 weeks, going up and down the coast, as well as more inland as well. 

Our budget varies, but we seek good value. We'll gladly stay in lovely, mom-n-pop owned "sobe", or fun, rambunctious, youth-hostels, and we'll gladly stay in opulent, historic hotel in a 17th century castle, if that's the not-to-miss place to stay! As a point of reference, I'd like to keep the average below $100/night. 

My companion is my lovely wife, who has no idea what I'm planning for us. We're way past our "honeymoon phase" but we welcome geeky, fun, romantic cliches if they're goofy enough to laugh at ourselves later on. 

The length will be determined on how awesome this travel itinerary is, and if we've covered most of the must-see cities, Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir or Korcula, Zagreb and Rijeka. Usually around 2 weeks is nice. Right after the high summer season, after labour day weekend. 

Keep in mind we love adventure, so anything unusual, out of the ordinary is definitely welcome. Challenge us, please! See if we'll turn down hands-on sausage making, or getting dirty helping out a farm, cheese making, horse grooming, sea urchin diving, whatever. 

Thanks in advance for all your help, we really appreciate it (except she doesn't know about it yet!) 

• Hvar (city)

Hvar Split-Dalmatia

• Split (city)

Split Split-Dalmatia

• Dubrovnik (city)

Dubrovnik

• Missy Johnston

CroatiaCroatiaCroatiaCroatia'Many of the highlights you have mentioned in Croatia are either on the coast or out in the islands. Every location you have mentioned is terrific, and add in Mali Losinj as long as you want to visit Rijeka, as I think the best way to visit Croatia is by water on the Coastal Ferry run by Jadrolinijas (only runs in summer), the Croatian State owned ferry company that operates most of the ferries in Croatia, although there are other ferry companies to keep in mind. Ferries are far more frequent on the summer, which is when you should plan this trip, if by ferry. I would not rent a car myself, as the little walled medieval villages are generally not open to car traffic, or if so, it is not easy driving. If you are adventurous, maybe rent motorcycles, that you can drive on and off of the ferries, and then into the little villages with no need to constantly look for car parks. Take the coastal ferry out of Rijeka to Dubrovnik, disembarking along the way, and don't forget MljetIsland, including Polače, Vis Island and Lastovo Island. Be sure to try experience the local peka cooking, hopefully at an out of the way farm, set up with a couple of tables to serves their own produce, farm raised meats and chicken, and fresh caught seafood. Nothing like octopus cooked in a Peka. And try fresh black ink squid risotto. You could do the trip on foot on the ferries, but you would see the port towns only, and miss exploring the lavender fields, olive and citrus groves, little wineries, local bee keepers, cheese makers. etc. in other parts of the islands. And keep an ear open, as a lovely cultural aspect of Croatia is Klapa singing. Usually men, many of whom have ben raised from youth to know their singing range, gather impromptu in groups to sing beautiful Croatian songs acapella on street corners, restaurants, and as only a true musician knows, under a dome for better acoustics. Inland in Croatia is lovely as well, but you only have 2 weeks, so I suggest a coastal island trip for this adventure and an inland trip another time.

1. Croatia (country)
    2. Mali Losinj (city)
    3. Rijeka (city)
    4. Dubrovnik (city)
    5. Mljet (attraction)
    6. Polače (city)
    7. Vis (city)
    8. Lastovo (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Missy a Thank You Note