• Susan Ho
  • "Best islands to visit between Dubrovnik and Split?"

Susan Ho

New York, New York

Best islands to visit between Dubrovnik and Split?

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Dubrovnik - Split and would love to know the best islands to visit.

I've heard of Hvar as the "party island" and may spend half a day to a day there, but am mostly looking for a mix of beach time, nature, and culture vs. partying and going out.

Here are the dates:

Aug 9-13: Dubrovnik

Aug 13-15: Islands between Dubrovnik and Split (ferrying)

Aug 15-19: Split

Traveling on a budget so suggestions of places to stay on islands and in Split (set on hotel for Dubrovnik already), as well as places to eat would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

• Hvar (city)

Hvar Split-Dalmatia

• Korcula (island)

Korcula Dubrovnik-Neretva

• Brac (city)

Brac Split-Dalmatia

• Kristal Sajasi

Hi Susan,

I'm slightly jealous, Croatia is one of my favorite places! You'll have a blast. If I can recommend something that is a bit of a drive, but totally worth it. If you aren't planning to do so already, I would definitely recommend heading to Plitvice Lakes National Park and Krka National Park. We were pressed for time so we did both in one day and while I do not recommend it, it's obviously doable. Even with the time restrictions I fell in love, Krka is one of my favorite places... I found it so peaceful and breathtaking. It seems like you're into nature and both are gorgeous!

Ok back to what you actually asked haha... in terms of islands I would actually say I enjoyed Hvar. I wasn't looking to party so I can't comment on that either way. I do think there is a main club there which is why you've probably heard that and there seemed to be a lot of young people gathering at the harbor at night, but here's why it was one of my favorite Croatian destinations:

- the food was great! My meal at Konoba Menego was amazing! The fish and their young sheep cheese with honey (dessert) are 2 dishes I still dream about to this day.

- The scenery was amazing, it was peaceful - we did hikes and walked around the island.

- I am obsessed with lavender (mainly the smell), it was great to visit the lavender fields and see them blooming.

- We did some wine tasting (Tomic Wine Boutique)

We didn't go but Brac is known for their beach, I will caution thought that everyone told us it's not as big as it looks in pictures and like most of the beaches in Croatia it isn't a sand beach, it's pebbles and small rocks.

Dubrovnik is pretty small and can be seen in a day or 2 (I'd highly recommend walking the city walls) so if you're looking to do something else, there is Cavtat which is accessible by bus, there are a few nice restaurants and less people around the water.

I hope this helps.

Have a great time,

Kristal

• Susan H.

Susan H.

Hi Kristal, thank you so much for the detail and recommendations! I wasn't planning on renting a car there, but it seems it might be worth it...was it easy to do? I can't imagine what car rental companies in Croatia must be like! · (0 likelikes)

• Kristal S.

Kristal S.

Hi Susan, you're welcome, it's my pleasure! If you choose to rent a car, it's very simple. Croatia has recently put a lot of effort into their infrastructure so all their roads are newly paved (I was there in 2013 and all roads were safe and extremely clean). We experienced no issues. The car rental process is just like it is here, we picked it up from an airport near Trogir and drove it everywhere. It's also really efficient because their ferries also transport cars so we just purchased tickets and took the car on the islands with us. A few points to note: - most of the cars are stick shift, they do offer automatic, but they are more expensive. - Make sure you feel comfortable because you don't want to be panicked on a small steep street haha, basically just make sure if you are going to rent a stick shift that you are completely comfortable driving in one. - I would recommend booking in advance because they do sell out of vehicles, especially during the summer. - The driving experience is fun because it's interesting to see how different their signs are. We had a blast getting familiar with all the signs as we passed by. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best, Kristal · (0 likelikes)

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)
    2. Krka National Park (attraction)
    3. Hvar (city)
    4. Konoba Menego (restaurant)
    5. Tomic Wine Boutique (attraction)
    6. Dubrovnik (city)
    7. Cavtat (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kristal a Thank You Note