• Joachim Simon
  • "Good places to go an with 4 year old daughter in Costa Rica in January"

Joachim Simon

Mönchengladbach, Germany

Good places to go an with 4 year old daughter in Costa Rica in January

Hi, my wife, daughter (4yrs.) and I will be traveling in Costa Rica in January for 4 weeks.

I like surfing, we all love beaches but nature in general as well. For budget reasons we would prefer the lower to mid price category for accommodation.

We want to rent a car and travel across the country and stay at the nice places. The nice places ideally are places where there are other children as well and which are interesting for little children (animals, other children, things to do for children)

What are your recommendations for those nice places? What would be a good itinerary for a 4 weeks trip?

• Jimmy Nguyen

Four weeks in paradise! January marks the beginning of the dry season in most of Costa Rica and is an excellent time to come visit. However, be prepared for both larger crowds and higher prices. See below for a few places that I think you and your family will enjoy.

You'll probably start your adventure in San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica. There's not much to this city - a bit dirty, a bit crowded, and a bit lacking in history. That being said, there are a few things here that are certainly worth seeing. The Pre-Columbian Gold Museum and Museo de Jade both have amazing pre-Columbian artifacts on display and the walk from one museum to the other gives you a good feel for the downtown area. To the east of the Gold Museum lies the Mercado Central (be sure to stop in for a sherbet!) and even further east is Parqueo La Sabana, the "Central Park" of San Jose and home of the beautiful Museo de Arte Costarricense and impressive National Stadium.

To the north of San Jose lies the Poás Volcano National Par
    k
    , which houses a 1.7km-wide crater with a sulfur-spewing, acidic lake at its center. Combine this with a stop at the nearby La Paz Waterfall Gardens and you have the makings for a perfect day-trip out of the city.

Poás Volcano National Park

When you're ready for a bit of nature, make your way over to Monteverde and the sleepy little town of Santa Elena. Walking through the cloud forest, either on the ground or high up on a suspension bridge, is akin to stepping into another world. The greenness of the vegetation will envelop you and leave you with your mouth open in awe. To break out of this trance, if you're so inclined, simply book a canopy tour and zipline/howl your way through the trees.MonteverdeFor some surf and sun, I highly recommend Manuel Antonio. The Manuel Antonio National Park is gorgeous and features amazing beaches and trails. This is also where I've able to see the most wildlife. Sloths hanging from branches, monkeys jumping from tree to tree, iguanas lounging on the beach… Just watch out for those raccoons! They're pretty good at opening unattended backpacks.

Manuel Antonio National Park

This list is by no means definitive. Even though the Puerto Viejo de Talamanca area is one of my favorite places in all of Costa Rica (Playa Cocles! Jaguar Rescue Center! Caribbean chicken!), I excluded it from my list because January is when the Caribbean coast has its wet season. I also omitted a few not-too-kid-friendly places that probably wouldn’t be a good place to take your daughter (here's looking at you Jaco!).

Furthermore, there's still quite a bit in Costa Rica that I've yet to experience. Arenal Volcano, Tamarindo, Playa Santa Teresa, and Corcovado National Park are all definitely on my must-go list and are worth doing some research into if you're interested!

1. San Jose (city)
    2. Pre-Columbian Gold Museum (attraction)
    3. Museo de Jade (attraction)
    4. Mercado Central (attraction)
    5. Parqueo La Sabana (attraction)
    6. Museo de Arte Costarricense (attraction)
    7. National Stadium (attraction)
    8. Poás Volcano National Park (attraction)
    9. La Paz Waterfall Gardens (attraction)
    10. Monteverde (city)
    11. Santa Elena (city)
    12. Manuel Antonio (region)
    13. Manuel Antonio National Park (attraction)
    14. Puerto Viejo de Talamanca (city)
    15. Playa Cocles (attraction)
    16. Jaguar Rescue Center (attraction)
    17. Jaco (city)
    18. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
    19. Tamarindo (city)
    20. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
    21. Corcovado National Park (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jimmy a Thank You Note