• Will Esperanza
  • "Things to do during a long weekend in Chicago for anniversary"

Will Esperanza

Daly City, California

Things to do during a long weekend in Chicago for anniversary

I'm taking my lady to to Chicago in June to celebrate our anniversary. I haven’t been there since college so I just remember bits and pieces of it and would love some help putting together a plan. We’re taking a long weekend for four days and I’m trying to figure out a basic itinerary. I’d like any advice about how best to see these attractions and/or what other attractions we should see or what we should skip. Some nice dinner recommendations would be awesome too. Here's what I'm thinking:

• Art Institute of Chicago
  • Millennium Park
  • Field Museum
  • The view from Sears Tower
  • The Zoo
  • The Tiffany ceiling at the Cultural Center and Tiffany ceiling at Marshall Fields
  • Maybe a ball game at Wrigley Field?
  • Chinatown
  • Magnificent Mile
  • Polish Village
  • Some kind of walking/biking day by the water
  • Maybe Greektown—we’ve heard about this but we’re not sure what it is
  • Hyde Park
  • Would like some suggestions about what to see in “The Loop”

ETA just in case in helps anyone: I haven't decided on a budget, but I'd like to do activities and experience meals that are reasonably priced and if there's something that's worth it, I also wouldn't mind splurging.

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Hi Will, can you share anything about your budget for this trip? Thanks! · (1 likelikes)

• Will E.

Will E.

Sure! I hadn't really thought about it, but I'd like to do activities and experience meals that are reasonably priced and if there's something that's worth it, I wouldn't mind splurging. I'll edit my question! · (0 likelikes)

• Jillian Geer

You can't beat Chicago in June. I grew up in the north suburbs and have lived in Chicago the past 8 years, so hopefully I can help!

Out of all the places on your list, I'm most familiar with the near north side.

Personally, I would skip the zoo and the Field Museum. However, I would check out the The Art Institute of Chicago . Their exhibitions are beautiful if you enjoy art. It's located in the loop, so this would also give you a chance to walk around the area. Close by is Millennium Park which is fairly touristy, although do check out the giant bean if you haven't seen it. They also have a concert series in the summer that might be of interest to you.

From there, I'd head north and walk over the river for a glass of wine and charcuterie at The Purple Pig . Take in the views of the river on your way there.

The Sears Tower is now actually called the Willis Tower . I would also add this to the list for the views 103 floors up. If you're feeling brave, you can walk out on the glass ledge to experience the view straight down too! However, it's really touristy, so keep that in mind. Another spot to check out the views at night is the The Signature Room at the 95th . I would go here for an after dinner drink, and request a table looking out over the city lights.

I saw you mentioned Marshall Fields, which is now Macy's on State Street. I honestly don't know much about the Tiffany ceiling so can't be of help there.

Definitely head to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game! Wrigleyville is a really fun area, but on game days (win or lose!), the streets are often filled with tipsy 20-somethings. All in all, if you haven't been to a Cubs game and enjoy live baseball, it's one of the best stadiums and areas to take it in.

For walking along the water, head to North Avenue Beach where there's a path that takes you as far as you'd like by the lake. It gets pretty crowded in the summer, but nonetheless it's beautiful.

One of my absolute favorite restaurants for a special occasion is Next . They switch the menu about every three months with a different cuisine/theme, and the presentation and service is pretty flawless. It's really a must-do all around. You do need to purchase tickets in advance and can find ticket information here: https://www.nextrestaurant.com/website/faq. It can be hard to get tickets, so be sure to check their Facebook page for additional updates as well.

Hope you have an amazing anniversary and enjoy all the city has to offer!

• Will E.

Will E.

It's great to get suggestions from a native. Thank you for helping me narrow it down. These sound great! · (0 likelikes)

1. The Art Institute of Chicago (attraction)
    2. Millennium Park (attraction)
    3. The Purple Pig (restaurant)
    4. Willis Tower (attraction)
    5. The Signature Room at the 95th (restaurant)
    6. Macy's (attraction)
    7. Wrigley Field (attraction)
    8. Wrigleyville (neighborhood)
    9. North Avenue Beach (attraction)
    10. Next (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jillian a Thank You Note