• Andrew Gold
  • "Neighborhoods: Streets to walk through in Chicago"

Andrew Gold

New York, New York

Neighborhoods: Streets to walk through in Chicago

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are in our late 20s, early 30s and considering moving to Chicago one day.

We're from NYC and of course accustomed to surroundings that are more dense given our time in the Upper East Side and Park Slope, Brooklyn. We don't plan on owning a car and enjoy walking everywhere/public transportation.

We've visited Chicago a few times and have walked around a few neighborhoods. We realize it is not as dense as NYC. From what we saw, we felt Lincoln Park or perhaps parts of Lake View or Bucktown were more of a fit but most streets we walked were a combination of a bunch of things to do and then nothing around.

We're going to head back in a month to do another similar round of walking through neighborhoods.

**Would love to know what are some of the more fun/denser streets (or stretches) to walk down to get a feel of the area we'd live in??**

(we love little coffee shops, neighborhood bars, running outside/parks, and the gym is a part of our daily lives - though that could exist near wherever we work). Anything that reminds me more of Park Slope would be great!

• Wicker Park (neighborhood)

Chicago Illinois

• Bucktown (neighborhood)

Chicago IL 60647

• Lakeshore East (attraction)

225 N Columbus Dr Chgo IL 60601 (312) 642-8869

• Crystal Leturno

Hello,

Chicago is my favorite US city (although I love New York too). I have lived there on and off since 2006 and have lived in a variety of neighborhoods. I have visited both Park Slope and the Upper East Side, so I know what you mean by density. Chicago overall is definitely not as dense as NYC, and it will be hard to find a neighborhood that is comparable in that way.

I think you are on the right track with Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Bucktown.

Here are a couple of other neighborhoods to walk on your next visit:

Old Town- Definitely charming and close to the Loop.

Lakeshore East- Right downtown at the north end of Millenium Park, Maggie Daley Park, and Grant Park.

South Loop- At the other end of Grant Park, this area has completely changed in the last 20 years from scary and crime ridden to brand new high rise apartments. It puts you right near the Museum Campus in an area that is quickly gaining popularity. Keep your eyes out for new restaurants, cafes, etc.

Printer's Row- Basically a micro neighborhood in the South Loop. It has the older vintage high rises with refurbished apartments.

Andersonville- It was once the home to Scandinavian immigrants, and while you can still see evidence of that it is very multicultural now. It has good nightlife, but overall has a more mature feeling.

If you do walk Lakeview again, be sure to walk along Broadway, Clark, Belmont, Halsted, Southport, and Addision. They all have their own vibes. Out of those streets I would say Southport is the most comparable to Park Slope in Brooklyn.

If in Bucktown again the streets to walk are Damen, Milwaukee, Fullertron, and North Ave. Be sure to head south to Wicker Park too along Damen and Division. Wicker Park was definitely known for it's hipsters, which are definitely still there, but has been developing into a more "mature" neighborhood.

For Lincoln Park, walk Fullerton, Clark, Halsted, Lincoln, Armitage, and Sheffield.

Well that probably is more than enough information for now. Good luck!

• Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Thanks Crystal for your thorough reply. We've also seen Old Town (seems to have a more just out of college feel) and Andersonville (a bit quirky but cool). Will def check out Lakeshore East, Printers Row, and South Loop. Certainly the last bit of your reply is what I wanted to know. Which streets or parts of streets really define the neighborhood? For instance, I remember walking on Clark or Halsted or Milwaukee which have a pocket of shops and interesting things for a few blocks but then just turns to nothing. I think I came to the conclusion that the most energy is going to be near the El stops and slowly thins out as you get away from it. Like the Damen stop in Bucktown was cool, then 4-5 blocks later I was like...wait where did everything go? Thanks so much once again. Really appreciate it. · (1 likelikes)

1. Chicago (city)
    2. Old Town (attraction)
    3. Lakeshore East (attraction)
    4. South Loop (neighborhood)
    5. Printer's Row (neighborhood)
    6. Andersonville (neighborhood)
    7. Lakeview (attraction)
    8. Bucktown (neighborhood)
    9. Wicker Park (neighborhood)
    10. Lincoln Park (neighborhood)

• ·
    • ·

Send Crystal a Thank You Note