Sunil Gupta

Mountain View, California

Must-do things in Chicago?

During a recent fare sale, my fiance and I booked a trip to Chicago on a whim since neither of us have ever been.  We got pizza recommendations​ and date night spots​ (still taking suggestions).  Now we just have to tie everything together.  Here's what we had in mind, and they're very loose plans:

Saturday:

• Arrive very early and drop off our luggage at hotel front desk
  • Breakfast -- any recommendations?  (a recommendation for Sunday would be great, too!)
  • Millenium Park
  • Grant Park
  • Maybe a pizza place
  • Museum of Photography
  • Walk around some more
  • Dinner at date night spot
  • Night cap -- any recommendations for districts with fun nightlife?

Sunday:

• Museum of Contemporary Art
  • Walk around that area
  • Maybe another pizza place, or any other restaurant recommendation

That's all I've got so far.  My flight on Sunday leaves at 8, so I've got from 8 AM Saturday till about 6 PM Sunday to explore Chicago.  Is there anything else that exemplifies Chicago that I need to see or do?

• Giordano's (restaurant)

815 W Van Buren St # 115 Chicago IL 60607-3638 (312) 421-1221

• Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse (restaurant)

1028 North Rush Street Chicago IL 60611 (312) 266-8999

• Wrigley Field (attraction)

1060 West Addison Street Chicago 6061 (773) 404-2827

• Ted Nelson

My favorite pizza place is Giordano'sGiordano's Pizza. There are a couple of locations downtown. They have amazing deep dish, which is a Chicago tradition.

Some other suggestions:

Have a drink inside the The Palmer HousePalmer House Hotel. Absolutely beautiful inside and very close to Milleneum Park.

Go up on the Willis TowerSear's Sky Deck. Even if the line is long, they move you through quite efficiently and once you are up on top, you can stay as long as you want.

Take a Chicago Architecture TourChicago architectural boat tour. I live in Chicago and this is the one tour I can do over and over again.

I would also suggest taking in a Chicago neighborhood and leaving downtown at least for a couple of hours. You can take a cab or ride the Red or Brown line trains.

Check out some of these fun neighborhoods

Wicker Park as Tandy suggested

Andersonville

Wrigley FieldWrigleyville

Uptown

Lincoln Square

Lincoln Park

Enjoy yourself in my hometown!

• Sunil G.

Sunil G.

Thank you, Ted. These all sound great. It sounds like we're going to have to go to the first three, plus visit one neighborhood! Are those neighborhoods fairly safe at night/is there much happening at night, or are they better day time activities? · (0 likelikes)

• Ted N.

Ted N.

The only neighborhood listed above that is kind of shady is Uptown, but it is relatively safe. The northside of Chicago is very safe for a big city. They all have good restaurants and bars so you can go either day or night. · (1 likelikes)

• Sunil G.

Sunil G.

That's very good to know. Thank you, Ted! · (0 likelikes)

1. Giordano's (restaurant)
    2. The Palmer House (attraction)
    3. Willis Tower (attraction)
    4. Chicago Architecture Tour (attraction)
    5. Wrigley Field (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ted a Thank You Note