• Rebecca Stallard
  • "Best area to stay in Chiang Mai for long-term stay?"

Rebecca Stallard

Spokane, Washington

Best area to stay in Chiang Mai for long-term stay?

We'll be coming in May and will be staying for 3-6 months or so and I've been looking around at different areas to judge how much to budget for rent. We're hoping no more than 8-10k thb, before utilities. I don't think I'd do well driving a motorbike, so a good walking neighborhood with lots of affordable street food is my main concern (both to keep our food budget down, but also to try out a variety of local food.)

I've heard that Nimman area is very nice and trendy; yet, it seems to still have some reasonably priced condos for rent. I do worry that a trendy neighborhood will mainly have more expensive restaurants though? And we don't really need a lot of condo amenities or services. A fairly simple furnished studio would suit us (Our splurges we'll be looking for is just A/C and that it has a decent desk or table and a couch.)

The other idea I've seen seems to be living to the east of the city to have access to the night market for food. Though I've seen some mention of a good market on the south side of the old city as well. Would either be good to rely on for our nightly meal?

The only other thing I worry about is internet. I've read good and bad and it's hard to get an idea what the real situation is. Most places seem to offer WiFi instead of a direct connection, and I wonder how WiFi could possible be okay for such large buildings. How far away is the signal and how many people are sharing it? Any recommendations on what to look for on this front would be welcome as well.

Sorry so long, thank you very much for your time!!

• Annie Tong

Hi Rebecca,

I will diffidently vote for Nimman area we stayed there for 2 months, this place has the best of the both worlds locals and heaps of Nomads. Really easy to get hooked in :) We were staying Baan Thai Resort and Spanice place with a big pool. We are thinking of going back and spending an other month there :)

Wifi is available everywhere, even in Baan Thai but if you buy a AIS sim card which is only US $1.50 they have this co working place called C.A.M.P. AIS - Creative And Meeting Place in MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Center it's on corner of Nimmanhaemin and Huay Kaew Road, we find the internet very reliable and 5 minutes walk from Baan Thai and great way to keep the cost down.

We were paying USD$7 a day for our studio apartment with fridge and without kitchen, if you get a room on 2nd floor your bedding is included and cleaning done every 10 days. if you get a room with kitchen the cost is bit high. Most of the people don't have kitchens in their homes they all eat out as it works out cheaper to eat out than cooking at home. Heaps of healthy eating options are around we eat broccoli chicken with egg most days the cost is only US$1, heaps of gym's around I am at Hill side paying US$7.50 a week, plenty of whole sale fruit markets around each week we spend US$12 and come home with the following.

10 Drinking coconut

1 Whole watermelon

kg Mandarins

kg Sweet mango's

kg Passion fruit

Check out this list which I put together, where to eat in CM - http://karolinapatryk.com/blog/travel-reports/asia/thailand/

Feel free to personal message me on face book to ask any further questions I would be happy to help :)

Annie Tong

from Sell Up Go Travel

1. Baan Thai Resort and Spa (hotel)
    2. C.A.M.P. AIS - Creative And Meeting Place (attraction)
    3. MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Center (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Annie a Thank You Note