• Susan Johnson
  • "One week, Parent-friendly trip to Charleston - stay, do, see, eat"

Susan Johnson

Manhattan Beach, California

One week, Parent-friendly trip to Charleston - stay, do, see, eat

My husband, 3 year old daughter, 3 month old daughter and I are going Charleston for a wedding at the end of April. I have never been to Charleston and heard it's a lovely city with history, food, and beauty to behold. I am eager to get out and about (in between going to a wedding and the rehearsals) and want to make the most of this trip!

- Where should we stay? (I've heard historic Charleston is nice but my taste veers towards VRBO or Four Seasons-like hotels). 

-What are hidden gems to see or do in the city? Old plantation that George Washington gave a speech at? I'm in! Moss-covered canopy lanes? Sign me up. Cool speakeasy bar? Done and done.

- What are the must-eat restaurants? (kid friendly and not kid friendly - we're bringing our nanny).

- Any other insider scoop on this town....

*oh and if you have any knowledge on Savannah, that may be on our list to see for a day.

Thanks so much in advance!

• Ashley Edds

Best place for a good, upscale Southern culinary experience: Anson --they grind their own grits in house (reportedly with a huge stone mill), and I had the best scallops ever there. House specialty is a whole-cooked fish with the bone in. They cut it a special way and teach you how to eat it table-side. Worth the little extra work.

Low-key lunch with the best she-crab soup: TBonz Gill & Grill in the market area. Seriously, really good she-crab (it's a Charleston specialty). Otherwise it's a burger and fried pickle kind of place, but they have a pretty good seasonal beer rotation.

Chill speakeasy: Unfortunately, there was an actual Speakeasy, but it no longer exists. Look up The Gin Joint and have the bartender surprise you. One of the best cocktails I've ever had.

Any of the plantations are worth visiting. Don't let the girls get into the Spanish moss. It tends to be infested with redbugs.

There's a pier in walking distance of the market/downtown area with huge porch swings. I've seen dolphins cresting twice. It's a nice place to catch a cool breeze and a break from the humidity. Very good gelato shop on the walk there. Further down there's a pineapple fountain that you can actually wade into, it's lowered into the ground and nice and cool as well.

• Susan J.

Susan J.

awesome tips!!! · (0 likelikes)

1. Anson (restaurant)
    2. TBonz Gill & Grill (restaurant)
    3. The Gin Joint (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ashley a Thank You Note