• Kay Busch
  • "What to pack for a summer in Southern France"

Kay Busch

Vermont

What to pack for a summer in Southern France

I'm trying to pack for my trip to Cannes this summer (May, June, July) What's the weather like in the summer in the Cannes area? I'm obviously not a celebrity but don't want to stick out as a tacky tourist. What should I pack for a 7 week trip (I'm trying to pack really light!). I bought really comfortable white leather sandals.. that's about it so far. Any tips?

• Courtney Robinson

Unfortunately, Cannes’s reputation as a super-glamorous place is more about PR than reality so I wouldn’t bother making too much of an effort here. That said, it is France and the French dress well so I would aim for something between dressed up and casual. It’s a place where you’ll do a lot of walking, probably not always on terribly well-paved streets so I would invest in a pair of good walking sandals which it looks like you've already done and maybe a couple of sundresses. I’d bring a couple of nice lightweight scarves to put on at night as it does get a bit cold there (and the above poster is correct—it rains a lot there!) and the French LOVE their scarves (by the time you come home you'll know 93 ways to tie them).

In general, the French own fewer clothes than Americans but they're almost always of much better quality so you might want to think about that as you're packing. I think you'll be happier with say, one really great, classic blazer than three cheap-o ones that get pilly and worn.

Definitely bring some kind of lightweight raincoat--every French woman owns a short trench and I can promise you you'll find the stores are full of then.

What I wouldn’t wear are shorts—you’ll stand out as an American for sure.

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note