• Anthony Gamell
  • "Insider advice about modes of travel, places and events not to miss"

Anthony Gamell

Missoula

Insider advice about modes of travel, places and events not to miss

I'm visiting Cambodia for the first time in November on both business and pleasure. I'll be there for about a month. I have meetings in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap but my schedule is fairly open and flexible. I'm flying from LA to Phnom Penh. A few questions:

What's the best mode of transport to get to Siem Reap from Phnom Penh in November? 

Any hotel / guest house recommendations in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap? Doesn't have to be too extravagant just clean and wifi/Internet is a must. A pool would be nice too. I like being within walking distance to the action (city life, markets, etc.....)

Other then PP & SR where should I be sure to visit? I love temples, nature, mountains, and a little beach life.

Are there any festivals or events that shouldn't be missed during November?

Thank you!

• nancy lim

I've been in Cambodia for the past 5 weeks and am leaving tomorrow, and i must say you should be super excited about your visit! It's a beautiful country if you can look past the trash and pollution. My family travelled from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap and then back to Phnom Penh, there are many different places that have buses that will take you back and forth for under 20$, depending on where you buy your bus tickets you can barter the price to even cheaper. When you stay in Phnom Penh i suggest staying near Mekong River, there's a long street along the river with lots of side roads, restaurants, bars, nightlife activities, night markets and all of the tourists go there. My family has a house right next to the airport so we were a little far from there so i didnt get to go quite as often but i really wish i had stayed there. There's so many hotels everywhere if your not happy with a price, barter with them, if they dont budge, then just walk 2 steps down to the next place until your satisfied. Same with shopping, anytime you want to buy anything, always. always. barter. They will always go down, and if they "dont" pretend to walk away, they will call after you.

For beach life, check out Kapong Som/Sihanoukville, its about 5 hours from Phnom Penh or from Siem Reap. The nightlife there is really fun, and theres nice beaches all around, check out Otres Beach, you can get a hotel right across the street from the beach for 15$ a night.

My family also visited Vietnam which isnt too far at all, we took a tour that included everything, such as food, hotel accommodations, transportation, etc for about 300, and the hotels and restaurants were actually really really nice, and the activities were actually pretty fun. My family usually hates tours but this one was actually exciting, they take you on a lot of different excursions to mountains/waterfalls that you probably cant find on your own. Or you can take a bus/boat and visit the surrounding countries, Thailand/Vietnam/Laos, might as well since they're so close!

• Anthony G.

Anthony G.

Thanks for more insight. I'm looking forward to my visit! · (0 likelikes)

1. Phnom Penh (city)
    2. Siem Reap (city)
    3. Mekong River (attraction)
    4. Sihanoukville (city)
    5. Otres Beach (attraction)
    6. Thailand (country)
    7. Vietnam (country)
    8. Laos (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send nancy a Thank You Note