• Joanna Riquett
  • "Road Trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver - Spots I can't miss?"

Joanna Riquett

Vancouver, Canada

Road Trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver - Spots I can't miss?

I'm driving from Los Angeles to Vancouver in September, stopping in Big Sur (what to do there?), San Francisco, quick flight to Utah, Portland and Seattle.

This is a rough itinerary but I'm looking for suggestions on places to go, hidden gems, things I should see, etc. For example, I want to stop at the Hearst Castle​, but I don't know what else can I find on the west coast. Note: I'm looking for something legit and not a tourist trap. 

Any suggestions? Thank you!!

• Tony Wright

Near SF, you should hit Point Reyes National Seashore. If you're there in late summer/early fall, do not leave without doing a night kayaking tour in Tomales Bay-- the bioluminescence is otherworldly. It's also great oyster country, so grab some BBQ oysters at Marshall Store.

You can hit wine country, if that's you're thing-- but you should dedicate a whole question to that! You can stay in Petaluma for a less fancypants experience. Cherry Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn is run by a super sweet old couple and they have a huggable Akita named Ushi.

In Portland, stay on the east side of the river. If you like waiting in line for a table at 9:30pm on a Tuesday, hit Pok Pok Restaurant. If you're clever, go to Whiskey Soda Lounge across the street-- they serve the same drinks and the amazeballs wings from Pok Pok. Multnomah Falls is worth a stop for a photo and Ape Cave is worth a swing on the way north... It's the longest lava tube you can walk in in the US, I think (2ish miles-- bring good shoes and a flashlight or two-- you've never been in the dark like this!).

Crater Lake National Park deserves a mention. SO STUNNING.

Crater Lake National Parkimage from nationalparks.orgCannon Beach is beautiful. Not a beach you'll swim from, but windswept and pretty.

Cannon BeachI'm from Seattle, so could go on about stuff to do up here at length-- I think the Seattle section of this site has a mess of good stuff.

Heading north, you must hit the San Juan Islands (ferry out of Anacortes). Orcas Island is probably the prettiest.

Orcas Island

• Joanna R.

Joanna R.

Thank you Tony! Where is Petaluma? Is that around LA or SF? Also the night kayaking sounds awesome! Any ideas where can I find more about it? Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

• Tony W.

Tony W.

It's near SF (near wine country and Tomales Bay). We used Blue Waters ( http://www.bluewaterskayaking.com/ ), but there's another one called Point Reyes Outdoors ( http://pointreyesoutdoors.com/ ) for our tour... Hoping to bring a mess of friends down to do it sometime this fall! (btw, you can click on the map to get a big zoomable version) · (1 likelikes)

• Valerie S.

Valerie S.

Tony, you literally stole all my answers! Boo!! ;) · (2 likelikes)

• Tony W.

Tony W.

Hah, Valerie I bet I missed SOMETHING. :-) · (1 likelikes)

1. Point Reyes National Seashore (attraction)
    2. Tomales Bay (attraction)
    3. Marshall Store (restaurant)
    4. Petaluma (city)
    5. Cherry Hill Bed & Breakfast Inn (hotel)
    6. Portland (city)
    7. Pok Pok Restaurant (restaurant)
    8. Whiskey Soda Lounge (attraction)
    9. Multnomah Falls (attraction)
    10. Ape Cave (attraction)
    11. Crater Lake National Park (park)
    12. Cannon Beach (city)
    13. Seattle (city)
    14. Anacortes (city)
    15. Orcas Island (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note