Katie MCarthy

Columbus, Ohio

Cute towns along the coast?

Maybe I’ve seen Sideways too many times but I really want to experience the California coast! I’ll be in L.A. for business in February and I’d like to drive up the coast to San Fran and really take my time driving up there. I have a lot of vacation time saved up which is great. Is a week or two enough?  I love quaint towns with cute little stores and restaurants and I’ve heard there are a lot of them along the coast. What are the best ones? A friend said that Cambria is along the lines of what I want if that helps. I plan to see it but I need more ideas!

• Hearst Castle (attraction)

750 Hearst Castle Rd San Simeon California 93452 (805) 927-2093

• Monterey (city)

Monterey CA

• Solvang (city)

Solvang California

• Zelinda Zingaro

As you get closer to San Francisco - you will enjoy Monterey - visit the historic section - the Monterey Bay Aquarium is terrific - rent bikes and go along the cost in Pacific Grove .

When you past through Watsonville look for "fried artichokes" - these are definitely not on the best diet but wonderful.

Santa Cruz - there is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (touristy) and the main downtown street - locals, great huge independent bookstore - small specialty food shops - trueconnectionoliveoil.com; and small restaurants and cafes.

Continuing up the coast - you can stay at the Hostelling International-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel or the Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel - both are lighthouses that have been converted to hostels - make reservations - these are popular spots.

Half Moon Bay - great small town street with shops and restaurants - visit Pillar Point Harbor - go whale watching or fishing for a day.

The town of Pacifica - Go tide pooling at Montara State Beach - check out the new Peruvian restaurant - Puerto 27 - although I have not eaten there yet, my Peruvian friends rave about it -

When you arrive in San Francisco visit the The beach chalet brewery & restaurant located at the far west end of Golden Gate Park - and take in the WPA era murals in the lobby - this is a terrific location to get a feel for San Francisco history - and the diorama of Golden Gate Park gives you a sense of all it has to offer. Don't' forget to visit one of the two restaurants for a locally brewed beer and some great food - views upstairs - locals with their kids downstairs. Both are great!

Enjoy your visit!

• Katie M.

Katie M.

Wow Zelinda, thank you for all this fantastic advice! I can't wait to check out these places! · (0 likelikes)

Wow, great recommendations, Zelinda! :) · (0 likelikes)

1. San Francisco (city)
    2. Monterey (city)
    3. Monterey Bay Aquarium (attraction)
    4. Pacific Grove (city)
    5. Watsonville (city)
    6. Santa Cruz (city)
    7. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (attraction)
    8. Hostelling International-Pigeon Point Lighthouse Hostel (hotel)
    9. Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel (attraction)
    10. Half Moon Bay (city)
    11. Pillar Point Harbor (attraction)
    12. Pacifica (city)
    13. Montara State Beach (attraction)
    14. Puerto 27 (attraction)
    15. The beach chalet brewery & restaurant (attraction)
    16. Golden Gate Park (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Zelinda a Thank You Note