• Rhonda Gammon
  • "14 days to travel in CA...need advice on an itinerary please"

Rhonda Gammon

Gretna, Virginia

14 days to travel in CA...need advice on an itinerary please

Hi...I'm new on this site and hoping I can get some straight forward answers. My husband and I hope to fly to CA (from VA) for about 14 days.  (In Sept.) We want to see all we can in this time frame but don't want to be driving too much or feel rushed. Is it best to stay in one area (we would chose northern) or could we see the "high spots" from one end to the other simply sight-seeing?

Interested in redwoods, Big Sur, San Francisco, perhaps Tahoe, etc. -Only time out West was Vegas and AZ a few years ago. Want to see all we can but relaxation too. Please advise! I need to move on this I know..need answers and itinerary asap to do reservations and flight. ..please help..thank you!

• John Sappington

Welcome to Trippy, Rhonda.

I would suggest you fly into San Francisco and stay in the city for at least 3 or 4 days at the beginning of your trip. A car is more of a burden than a benefit there, so rent the car when you leave. San Francisco has a lot to see. San FranciscoFrom there, rent a car and head north. If you are interested in visiting wineries, stay 2 or 3 nights in the wine country. I prefer Sonoma County and Mendocino County over Napa Valley because they are more laid back, but that is just my opinion. Take a look at all of them. Healdsburg Healdsburgis a charming place to stay a few nights with a nice assortment of good restaurants, hotels, and B&B's. From there, I'd recommend driving through the Anderson Valley to the Mendocino Coast. The Anderson Valley is an underdeveloped wine area, very scenic, and you will drive through redwoods just before you reach the coast. Take a look at the Albion River Inn,Albion River Innfor great views, a relaxed atmosphere and a very good restaurant. I've stayed in their least to most expensive rooms and thought they were all wonderful. It is not inexpensive, but excellent breakfasts are included and the setting is simply magnificent. The town of Mendocino just to the north is charming. From there, you can drive up the coast on Highway 1 and cut over on the windy road to Highway 101 near Leggett , where you can do a quick drive through a giant redwood at Drive-Thru Tree Park. Drive-Thru Tree ParkThe 101 in this area is known as the Redwood Highway and there are numerous opportunities to see Redwoods. I would recommend you drive up to the Avenue of the Giants Southern Entrance Avenue of the Giants Southern Entranceand along the avenue for the best views of the giant redwoods. After that, it depends on how many nights you have left and how much you want to drive. If you have time left, you could drive to Lake Tahoe, which is certainly worthwhile. Lake TahoeYou could probably fly back from Reno-Tahoe International Airport. If you have taken it slow, return to San Francisco to fly home from there.

• Rhonda G.

Rhonda G.

Thank you, John!! I appreciate so much your detailed information and pics. This helps me tremendously! Did you list all attractions/places in the order we would travel? Remember, we don't have a clue! 😕 I wondered if we needed to make reservations everywhere we may stay along the way. .??..also, noticed you didn't include Yosemite National Park. .your thoughts? And..wondered if we should land in SF and perhaps leave out of Reno airport if that's our last stop..? · (0 likelikes)

• John S.

John S.

I did list the attractions/places in an order that will work. We took a trip like that a couple summers ago. I would make reservations for all hotels before you go. I think you will find flying into San Francisco International or Oakland the nest. Both have good access into San Francisco. If you end the trip in Reno, definitely fly home from there if you can get a good deal. It will save you a lot of having to drive back to San Francisco to fly home. Yosemite is beautiful and worth a couple days it you have time to add it to the end of the trip. Accommodations in the park fill up very early, so see if anything is available before you think about adding it on. I would suggest you take a look at Google Maps to plan your trip. It allows you to get distances and driving time between destinations so you can plan how far you want to drive between stops. A lot of attractions, hotels, and restaurants are marked on the maps as you zoom way in. Also, each Hotel in San Francisco will vary in price from week to week. If your dates aren't yet set, you might save some money checking dates there before booking your flights. When I make hotel reservations, I usually begin with Priceline or Orbitz and check out prices for various dates. Once I pick out hotels I am interested in, I check the websites for the specific hotel to see if they have the same or better price. I think you may sometimes get a better room if you book directly with the hotel. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want, I'm happy to check flights and hotels for you and make suggestions. Just send me the dates of travel and what airport you would be flying from. · (0 likelikes)

1. San Francisco (city)
    2. Sonoma County (region)
    3. Mendocino County (metro area)
    4. Napa Valley (attraction)
    5. Healdsburg (city)
    6. Anderson Valley (attraction)
    7. Albion River Inn (restaurant)
    8. Mendocino (city)
    9. Leggett (city)
    10. Drive-Thru Tree Park (attraction)
    11. Avenue of the Giants Southern Entrance (attraction)
    12. Lake Tahoe (attraction)
    13. Reno-Tahoe International Airport (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send John a Thank You Note