• Drew Jolesch
  • "Going to be in Belgium for 3 days, need to visit Brussels & Liege"

Drew Jolesch

Dallas, Texas

Going to be in Belgium for 3 days, need to visit Brussels & Liege

I am traveling to Belgium at the end of October and will be spending 2 days in Liege and 1 day in Brussels. For someone that is going here for the first time, what would be the things to check out in either places. I know I would be cramming a lot in to 3 days in such a cool country but time is not a luxury on this trip!

• Atomium (attraction)

1 Square de l'Atomium City of Brussels 1020 02 475 47 75

• Grand Place (attraction)

Grote Markt 8 Brussels 1000 +32 (0)2 514 07 60

• Manneken Pis (attraction)

Stoofstraat 46 Brussels 1000 +32 (0)2 502 71 45

• Luciana Misura

We spent less than 1 full day in Brussels and I wished we had more time. It was a lovely Spring day, sunny, blue sky, lots of tulips everywhere, perfect weather. We basically went on a walking tour, guided by a friend who lives there, here are the sights we saw:

We started walking from our hotel ( Pantone Hotel ) to Avenue Louise , a major shopping street. Quick stop at Place Poelaertplein which is one of the best viewpoints in Brussels. We proceeded to Petit Sablon , a small square with a pretty garden (full of tulips that day) and pond, checked the glass work at Église Notre-Dame du Sablon across the street and walked to the Grand Sablon , to check all the chocolate stores around the square - Pierre Marcolini , Leonidas , Godivaand Neuhaus among others (they had great Easter decorations at the time, very nice). We also stopped by at L'Univers du Thé they have an amazing selection of teas from all over the world, I had to buy a few (ask to see and smell their amazing Blue Tea).

We kept going towards the Belgian Royal Museum of Fine Arts , the Musée Magritte and the Royal Palace of Brussels . We stopped on the way to eat some delicious waffles from Liege. Across the street from the Royal Palace there is a huge park, Brussels Park . We didn't have time to go in so we turned around to walk to the beautiful Grand Place . If it's a sunny day, try to get there early because at the time we got there (late afternoon) most of the square was in the shade.

After taking in the beautiful buildings, we walked to the Manneken Pis statue, which is as everybody says - small and not that great, but oh well. On the way to the statue we saw a lot of chocolate stores and waffle vendors.

We went across the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, very pretty, and again, lined with chocolatiers and their wonderful Easter displays. At the end of the Galeries, you arrive at a narrow street called Beenhouwersstraat lined with restaurants, including the very traditional Chez Leon and Aux Armes de Bruxelles . We had a typical Belgian dinner at Chez Leon, with steamed mussels and beer. It was good but overpriced, I've heard Aux Armes de Bruxelles is better.

On our way back to the hotel we had delicious Liege waffles with chocolate and strawberries at a street vendor nearby. Best waffles I've ever had, for sure!

I wanted to go to the Atomium but unfortunately it wasn't nearby and we had less than 1 full day, so we skipped it.

You can see my photos of this day here.

• frieso K.

frieso K.

This is a very complete overview of all the things you can visit in Brussels, although I dissuade any visitor from going to the Beenhouwersstraat, the restaurants there are just tourist traps. There are wonderful restaurants all over Brussels; Lola, La Paix, Belga Queen, BonBon, Viva M’Boma, to name but a few... · (0 likelikes)

• Kristel V.

Kristel V.

I agree with avoiding beenhouwersstraat. If you want to eat decent chocolate and don't have the money voor Marcolini, Wittamer, etc. avoid the tourist shops. Enter a godiva or something similar which are good pralines. Or go to a supermarket/conveniencestore and buy tables from callebaut, cote d'or or galler. Really good stuff. Skip the atomium. It isn't that special and it takes a while to get there. I would eat at @Viva 'm boma for really good decently priced Belgian food. https://plus.google.com/114924947722261658821/about?gl=be&hl=nl If you have time go to the Halles Saint-Géry for a vibrant neigbourhood full of good pubs · (0 likelikes)

1. Pantone Hotel (hotel)
    2. Avenue Louise (attraction)
    3. Place Poelaertplein (attraction)
    4. Petit Sablon (attraction)
    5. Église Notre-Dame du Sablon (attraction)
    6. Place Du Grand Sablon (attraction)
    7. Pierre Marcolini (attraction)
    8. Leonidas (attraction)
    9. Godiva (restaurant)
    10. Neuhaus (attraction)
    11. L'Univers du Thé (attraction)
    12. Belgian Royal Museum of Fine Arts (attraction)
    13. Musée Magritte (attraction)
    14. Royal Palace of Brussels (attraction)
    15. Brussels Park (attraction)
    16. Grand Place (attraction)
    17. Manneken Pis (attraction)
    18. Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert (attraction)
    19. Beenhouwersstraat (attraction)
    20. Chez Leon (restaurant)
    21. Aux Armes de Bruxelles (restaurant)
    22. Atomium (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Luciana a Thank You Note