• Adam Arscott
  • "Best Surf Spots for beginner/intermediate surfer in Brazil"

Adam Arscott

Ottawa, Ontario

Best Surf Spots for beginner/intermediate surfer in Brazil

Hey everyone,

I am really looking to improve my surf skills.  I picked Brazil as it hosts some great spots to surf and I would love to experience Brazilian culture.  I am planning to go by myself for 1 month with the goal of meeting many new people and improving my surf skills.  My budget range is between backpacker and economical hotel traveler.  I also like to party so a lively city would be a great plus :)  Any help would be fantastic!

• Robson Cadore

Hi Adam!

If you going between November - March the south of Brazil is also an option. ( rest of the year the water is a bit cold...)

Suggest to check Florianópolis in Santa Catarina State. Over 40 beaches in the island so plenty of options! There are nice hostels in Barra da Lagoa, very local experience. You also can try sandboard in Praia da Joaquina. Nightlife in "Floripa" is very busy in summer.

About 90km from Florianopolis you have Balneario Camboriu, an urban beach full of Surf Schools. Waves usually are not big there but you can go to Praia Brava, 5 min driving, where waves are bigger and constant. Nightlife in Balneário Camboriu is great! You can chose from EDM ( Green Valley), House/Tecnho( Warung Beach Club), rock,( Open Bar) "sertanejo" (Shed Western Bar)...

It's a small city, you can get around walking or public transport. ( no problem to carry surfboards in the bus)

Sorry, forgot to mention a great local restaurant in Florianopolis, BAR DO ARANTE - AXONINE, great food in a nice atmosphere.
    If you have time you should do a road trip to Jaguaruna ( about 2 hs drive from Florianopolis) there you will find awsome dunes for sandboarding and good waves for surfing. They have an Town in association, huge waves on winter time! On the way back you can visit Farol de Santa Marta Laguna SC. Awesome views and great waves too.

Cheers!

• Adam A.

Adam A.

Just realised now I forgot to thank you for such a detailed and helpful response! I am taking all into consideration. Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

1. Florianopolis (city)
    2. Barra da Lagoa (city)
    3. Praia da Joaquina (attraction)
    4. Balneario Camboriu (city)
    5. Praia Brava (attraction)
    6. Green Valley (attraction)
    7. Warung Beach Club (attraction)
    8. Open Bar (attraction)
    9. Shed Western Bar (attraction)
    10. BAR DO ARANTE - AXONINE (restaurant)
    11. Jaguaruna (city)
    12. Farol de Santa Marta Laguna SC (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Robson a Thank You Note