• Lindsey Silva
  • "Best way you make/save money to travel?"

Best way you make/save money to travel?

Looking to travel abroad next year with the hubs, and he's a full-time student and I'm making an entry-level salary at my job (below 40k and above 30k). We budget and keep to it (including socking some away for savings), but I was wondering: How do others save or make money to fund their travels?

(And yes, I'm female, but the "Give up your daily Starbucks latte and your shoe shopping addiction"-type suggestions do not apply, as I do neither of these things and count myself as a very frugal person, haha.)

Any jobs you take? Things you sell off? Unique ways you save? I'd like to hear it! :)

• Travis Huyghebaert

For us, as soon as we decided to travel long term we knew we had to make changes to our lifestyle in order to be able to reach our goals. We began saving 8 months before we left. Here is how we did it:

Step 1 - figuring out our rough finances:

We calculated our income per month (after taxes) and our necessities (mortgage, strata fees, utilities, etc.). We then looked at our spending over the previous few months to estimate what we were spending on everything else. From these numbers we were able to spot places to trim the fat from our budget (we were in the same boat as you, already being fairly frugal....however, there's always places to cut).

Step 2 - putting the right framework in place:

We opened an account designated ONLY for travel (we even gave the bank card to family to hold on to). We designated an amount from each of our paychecks that was immediately transferred upon receiving them. THis formed the base of our savings. We made this amount challenging yet sustainable so as not to get discouraged. We also began taking the necessary steps to make sure we could put our place up for rent before we left, arranging a place to stay for the time before leaving, finding a place for our vehicles, etc.

Step 3 - making sustainable changes:

After formulating a plan, we started carrying it out. We began cooking at home more (and making cheaper dishes that we could take for lunches as well) - oatmeal, chilis, stews - it's amazing how much more you can save! We downsized to one car, began walking or biking whenever possible, got rid of our cable, dumped the extras on our cell phone plans, etc. Even though we had been living pretty frugally, it ended up being nearly $400/month! That's $3200 in the 8 months that we would've wasted!

Step 4 - supplementing our income:

This is a pretty easy one. Sell your extra stuff on Kijiji/Craigslist or have a garage sale, look for odd jobs...or better yet see if you can sell something you're good at (my girlfriend reviewed and helped people with resumes and cover letters as she is a Human Resources Specialist). You could also look into renting out your place and moving somewhere cheaper if that's feasible, renting out a room on AirBnB or something similar (AirBnB makes sense if it's something you are looking to use when you travel) - there really are countless options. We rented our place out three months before we left (reason one being we had a place to stay; reason two being it made us extra money; and reason three being that we didn't want to have to be down to the wire worrying about planning AND moving). All in all we were able to make $900 from our extra work, we sold our unneeded crap for about $800, and saved/made $3500 from renting our place out.

Step 5 - refining our travel budget:

We made an outline of all the places we wanted to go and budgeted out how much each place was going to cost us as accurately as possible. We had decided on Europe, but had not decided on which regions specifically. When doing our research, we quickly found out that some regions (Balkans, Eastern Europe, etc.) were much cheaper than others (Switzerland, Scandinavia, etc.), and we made priorities from there. We developed an itinerary and made our approximate budget.

**I'll be honest here - if there's a place you want to go, GO. You'll be much happier going somewhere you've dreamed of for a shorter period of time rather than somewhere you're not as excited to see for a longer period of time!

Step 6 - figure out how long you can realistically travel:

For our first trip, we calculated that we were going to spend approx $100/day total plus flights in and out. About three months before our departure date, we realized that we were definitely going to make our goal of $20,000. With this math, we planned on traveling for approx 150 days plus $3000 total for our return tickets. This gave us a little flex room.

Step 7 - ask for help:

Whether it's on a forum like this, to other travelers and bloggers, or to friends and family, you quickly realize that people out there are generous with their time, advice, and even money. Family members surprised us with some extra money in the weeks before our trip, and we had tons of success getting tips and recommendations on how to save once on the road (and trust me you get better as time goes on).

Step 8 - the return home:

The last bit of advice I have is to make sure you have funds and a plan for when you get home. About two months before getting back, we started submitting resumes for jobs, lining up a place to stay until our renters were out of our place, and making sure we had enough money to last us a while when we got back.

Sorry this was a rambling post! Hopefully you found at least some use in here and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

• Lindsey S.

Lindsey S.

Whoah, no, not rambling at all! Thank you for all the great tips, especially since you were already a pretty "frugal" couple (like we are) and still found ways to save! I'll be checking into several of your tips, so thank you! :) · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Travis a Thank You Note