• Ross Sparks
  • "Best tips for budget traveler? Best tips for traveling light?"

Ross Sparks

Fort Collins, Colorado

Best tips for budget traveler? Best tips for traveling light?

I love to travel lite and often! What are your tips for saving money, and keeping packing to carry on only!

thanks this should be interesting!!

• Emily Nye

Well, it really depends who you are, where you're going, what you're doing, and for how long. But...

Travel in warm places! Seriously. Traveling in winter requires a lot more clothes, bigger shoes, and more time inside ($$).

Travel slowly. If you're flexible you can save money by traveling at off times, making your own meals, and waiting for free museum days.

Eat at the market or grocery store. Pick up some bread and your choice of meat, cheese, veggies, or fruits. Then just find a pretty place to sit!

Know what matters to you. As a girl traveler, my biggest packing issue is toiletries - specifically face stuff. Now don't roll your eyes. Taking care of my skin is important to me. It doesn't mean I'm crazy high-maintenance. (I've slept in train stations, eaten porcupine, and ripped leeches from my skin in the jungle.) But it does mean I have to make choices...and spend some time planning my carry-on liquids bag.

So here are a few general packing strategies:

- one option: buy what you need along the way (especially toiletries). depending on where you're going it might be cheaper. plus shopping can help you get to know a place....just veer away from the familiar.

- two pants and two not-pants (skirt or shorts) are probably all you need for a trip of any length.

- one thin scarf and one thicker scarf. they provide varying levels of warmth, a blanket, a pillow if rolled up together, a towel in a pinch, etc.

- roll your clothes. it really does save so much space.

- baby shampoo. if necessary, you can use baby shampoo for hair, face, and body washing -- and to wash out clothes too.

- take a small tupperware. that way you can actually eat leftovers or save that extra croissant from breakfast.

- take a thin but decent-sized canvas bag. you're allowed a personal item, so stuff all the things you can't fit in your pack in there.

• Ross S.

Ross S.

Great answer! Thanks! We travel the same way! I usually travel in warmer climates so it's easy to travel light! Haven't checked a bag in years! Thanks again · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Emily a Thank You Note